The Matilda Tavern

I used to know someone who was family connected to one of the people at the Gardener's Rest. The pub Closed due to the Sheffield Flood in 2007. The contamination caused by the floodwater made it neccesary to strip out all the timber in the bar area. This took them quite a while. I seem to remember there was great dissapointment that an old bar billiards table had to be disposed of.

It seemed to take them 3 or 4 years to get the pub back up and running with a new bar. But now it is back on the Beer Valley trail.

The back of the pub is missing? So it's just open to the elements?

My grandma was born in the matidla tavern in the late 1920s. My great grandad was the landlord

Does anyone know who owns it. Had a look the other day the back half of the pub is missing any clues is to why this is and it seems to have fire damage? :)

A lot of buildings mysteriously 'go on fire' or are allowed to fall into disrepair and have to be pulled down. Then flats appear a few years later.

a Mr Brownhill may own it. or least seems to have done back in 2006. There was a planning app in back then...to make student flats. interestingly after so many years there seems to have been some correspondence in July this year but the system isnt working right now.

Went past the Matilda Tavern today, the front doors were wide open. The inside is completely stripped out no bar or seating . Any idea what's happening to it?

Bit of a long shot! But can anyone remember the Parkin Family who ran the Matilda Tavern in the early 1940's.

I was talking to a family member who recalls going there when she was seven or eight years old during the second world war.