Old Pub below the Mucky Duck - What was it called?

The compleat angler was the name of the mucky duck before it was the mucky duck.

Think there was ayellow lion and a white lion in the whicker at one time Arthur

that was the little white lion,now bennetts fishing tackle

The compleat angler was the name of the mucky duck before it was the mucky duck.

I thought it was the nickname of the black swan that they resurected and called the pub after it was the complete angler

merry england bar in the 70s

Can't remember the pub name but the Teddy Boy shop was called Winston's. The only place for cut away collars and slim jims. A full drape from there in 1959 was 4 guineas.

Those were the days, a full kit-out for less than a fiver !!

It was the Black Swan - nicknamed Mucky Duck. I drank there when it was Complete Angler then became The Mucky Duck. Now Boardwalk I believe. Don't remember the one below it though?

From 1947 on Bridge St was the bus terminus we used to go into town, hence Snig hill was very familiar

For the life of me i cannot remember any pub between Winstons and the Black Swan.

That does not mean i dispute any pub being there.

At the rate the grey cells are diminishing it could just be my memory.

I looked at 'Picture Sheffield ' 'Snig Hill' and found the original Black Swan appeared to be further down Snig Hill.

On the corner were the present pub is was the offices of the Sheffield Independent.

Worth looking up .http://www.picturesheffield.com ,go to 'S' look up Snig hill

PopT straitened me up .

It was the Brewery Tap and it was literally below the Black Swan.

It was subterranean, yes Sam Smiths.

By the way 'Sam Smiths Imperial Stout' is an excellent stout

PopT straitened me up .

It was the Brewery Tap and it was literally below the Black Swan.

It was subterranean, yes Sam Smiths.

By the way 'Sam Smiths Imperial Stout' is an excellent stout

I thought the "Brewery Tap" only opened in the mid to late '70's - original posting asked for late 50's early 60's.

O.K Longcol if it was not the Brewery Tap what was it called .

I used to meet my buddy there every Saturday night in the early 60s.

The entrance was lower down Snig Hill almost under the Black Swan. Some of the windows where at street level.

O.K Longcol if it was not the Brewery Tap what was it called .

I used to meet my buddy there every Saturday night in the early 60s.

The entrance was lower down Snig Hill almost under the Black Swan. Some of the windows where at street level.

After chatting to a number of the old lads in a few boozers tonight, the general concensus is that it was the "Merrie England Bar" at that time.

"Brewery Tap" came later.

It was called the Brewery Tap in the early 80s, and ran by a couple of gay guys called Len and Paul, we used to start our pub crawls off from there, then work our way through town to the Wap n Take, then into the night clubs to finish ourselves off.

We`d start at The Tap, then go to the Complete Angler, then to the Dove and Rainbow, then to the Blue Ball, then to The Stonehouse, then stagger to the Saddle, then on to The Friendship, then crawl to The Wap. On some nights, when we were feeling really suicidal, we`d get a taxi to Attercliffe and work out way back into town, and through the pubs in the Wicker. A pint in each pub.

They were good days...erm...from the little I can remember.