Shirecliffe History

Please share memories of living/going to school in the Shirecliffe area.

Shirecliffe Junior and Watermead and Busk Meadow Infant Schools are amalgamating in the new Watercliffe Meadow Community Primary School (built on Boynton Road behind Busk Meadow Infants) in September.

We're collecting memories/photos of the area to store on a website/in books, etc. for the children of the future.

Do you remember May Day celebrations (1939-1962)? The building of the roads/houses in the late 1930s? Or are your memories more recent?

Please share.

Thank you.

I went to Shirecliffe from 1968 to 1974, then i went to Herries untill 1979.

I remember some of the teachers at Shirecliffe, Mr Mumby, Mrs Steeples, Mrs Turner.

The Head Mistress in the infants was Mrs Tingle when i was there i think.

Thank you.

Do you have a particular memory of part of the Shirecliffe building, or of a particular teacher you'd be happy to share?

I went to shirecliffe school from 1978-1982ish. I remember the teachers mentioned above. Mr Moore was the head while i was there. The teachers i had were Mrs.Young,Miss Dury(i think she was called),Mr.Flynn and finaly Mr.Grafton.

hi i went to shirecliffe about86-90ish, i remember mr moore was head teacher and mr dagnell deputy head, mr moore was lovely to me, used to go and sit in his office everyday and chat. mr dagnell scared me.

hi i went to shirecliffe about86-90ish, i remember mr moore was head teacher and mr dagnell deputy head, mr moore was lovely to me, used to go and sit in his office everyday and chat. mr dagnell scared me.

I met them both at a farewell "party" for former teachers a few weeks ago. They both looked very well in retirement. Hugh Moore's kindness shone out, just as you describe. They both LOVED talking about school plays at Shirecliffe. I bet there are loads of memories out there about these plays. Does anyone have any to share? Any photos??

I went to Shirecliffe from 1968 to 1974, then i went to Herries untill 1979.

I remember some of the teachers at Shirecliffe, Mr Mumby, Mrs Steeples, Mrs Turner.

The Head Mistress in the infants was Mrs Tingle when i was there i think.

Mr Mumby seems to have left people with extreme feelings of love/loyalty or terror/resentment. What do you remember him for?

All former Shirecliffe folk need to know that there are several hundred other former Shirecliffe folk scattered all over the globe and registered with Friends Re-united. It's free now so why not see if some of your classmates are there ...

i also remember shortly before we left i think, that the whole school went on a trip to lightwater valley theme park.cant remember why all the school went.

all the school also got a cup (i think) to celebrate something to do with the queen, iv still got my cup.

i went to shirecliffe infants and junior school from 1964 -69,cant remember any teachers names from the infants except mrs seamen who as i remember was a dear,in the juniors there was mrs mylrea,mrs turner,mr spencer(who was a full weight git),mr unwin,mr mumby and mr thomas was the head teacher.my worst memory was my mother making me dance round the bleedin maypole on open night,and spending a full term in spencers class,could,nt do owt right.mr mumby...hmm..if you liked him, he liked you,if not ,well

Thanks, Criss! It's good to get another view of the whole May Day celebration thing!!

My mum was brought up on the Shirecliffe, she was born in 1931, one of nine sisters most of whom are now deceased. Her name before marriage was Patricia Malone. When I next see her I will ask her what her memories were.