Samuel Fox steel mill in Stocksbridge

Hi, 

I am trying to find ex employees of Samuel Fox steelworks in Stocksbridge who worked there between 1955 and 1980. Mr James Shepherd was a maintenance worker and did a lot of roofing repair work at the plant. He was exposed to asbestos dust during the course of his employment and his son is looking to find anyone that may have known Mr Shepherd or that can identify the presence of asbestos at the plant. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicky

My old friend Melvin Jordan worked there until about 1962/3 - he lied with his parents and sister on  Parsons Cross Estate

at that time he would be about 23/24 years old - think he may have worked in the Drawing Office - I saw him almost weekly in 1958/9 until 1962/63

Will now be 80/81 years old

Not seen him for many years - he married a girl from Middlewood and they went to run her parents hotel in Falmouth. Last I hear from him was they were divorced and he had moved out to nearby Penryn - the exchange of news would have been probably 2004/5

I moved to Malaysia in late 2006 and our conversation was prior to that

I knew another guy who lived on Wordsworth Avenue, Parsons Cross - he was in the same class and myself at Woodhouse Gammar School 1951/1957 so he will be about 79 years old now. Last time I saw him at a reunion was 2005 and he was retired and living at Dronfield - his name - Lewis Neath - he was also a draughtman but not sure if it was at Samuel Fox's - cannot remember exactly where he said he had worked

Best Regards - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - Malaysia

On 10/07/2019 at 22:16, nicky howe said:

Hi, 

I am trying to find ex employees of Samuel Fox steelworks in Stocksbridge who worked there between 1955 and 1980. Mr James Shepherd was a maintenance worker and did a lot of roofing repair work at the plant. He was exposed to asbestos dust during the course of his employment and his son is looking to find anyone that may have known Mr Shepherd or that can identify the presence of asbestos at the plant. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicky

I'd be inclined to approach the Trades Unions - they may have already evidenced asbestos at the plant. Maybe try getting in touch with Trades Council in the first instance?

https://sheffieldtuc.co.uk/