Coach & Horses, Dronfield. Excellent!

Ive been following the thread on the reopening of the Blackamoor pub in Trowey but some of the posts recommended this pub instead so I decided to visit.

We all thought that the food was excellent. I had pigeon pie followed by shoulder of beef. For three adults & one child it cost £55 (including starters & drinks, but not desert as we were stuffed!)

Overall, the food was of a very high standard with a good menu.

Well worth a visit.

i agree eaten there 4 or 5 times never had a bad meal the food is always packed with flavour

best pub food in sheffield

One of my faves too!! :love:

Really good pub grub, nice and small and intimate, great service and amazing ales!!!! :):thumbsup:

Ive been following the thread on the reopening of the Blackamoor pub in Trowey but some of the posts recommended this pub instead so I decided to visit.

We all thought that the food was excellent. I had pigeon pie followed by shoulder of beef. For three adults & one child it cost £55 (including starters & drinks, but not desert as we were stuffed!)

Overall, the food was of a very high standard with a good menu.

Well worth a visit.

Glad you liked it. I was one of the folks on here that recommended it to our exasperated young lady who failed to eat at the Inn at Troway. It is good, no doubt about that, and consistently so.

When you see the chef coming in to the bar and carefully choosing, not the cheapest, but the most flavoursome cider they have so that he can braise the freshly caught rabbit in it to make a stew you know you are in a place that is trying to put on proper good food.

Lost on most people I know - but they can always go to a chain pub and have chicken ting instead.

Popped in the Coach & Horses on Wednesday before watching Sheffield FC vs Sheff Wed , my dad ordered 2 pints of San Miguel the cost was £7.60 , i know the old guy can be a bit tight , but come on that's £3.80 a pint , that's overpriced in a big way and i can understand why he wasn't impressed , hence we didn't call back after the match

Popped in the Coach & Horses on Wednesday before watching Sheffield FC vs Sheff Wed , my dad ordered 2 pints of San Miguel the cost was £7.60 , i know the old guy can be a bit tight , but come on that's £3.80 a pint , that's overpriced in a big way and i can understand why he wasn't impressed , hence we didn't call back after the match

I'd agree with you that's a bit steep. I think they are punishing people who drink lager when they could have real beer.

Did you realise that you were in one of the best beer pubs in this area at the time and could have had a beautiful pint of beer (of which they have usually at least 4 different types of varying tastes and strength) for £2.70?

If you do go again, try the local brew beer instead, you'll save money and I dare say you'll find it a lot more tasty than imported San Miguel lager.

I'd agree with you that's a bit steep. I think they are punishing people who drink lager when they could have real beer.

Did you realise that you were in one of the best beer pubs in this area at the time and could have had a beautiful pint of beer (of which they have usually at least 4 different types of varying tastes and strength) for £2.70?

If you do go again, try the local brew beer instead, you'll save money and I dare say you'll find it a lot more tasty than imported San Miguel lager.

I fully agree. It is rather strange going into a pub that is a flagshipfor Thornbridge brewery and choosing to drink San Miguel.

Just a further point for everyone's enligtenment. Last time I checked this "imported" lager was in fact a UK brewed lager with a foreign name. That's the excuse for jacking the price.

I fully agree. It is rather strange going into a pub that is a flagshipfor Thornbridge brewery and choosing to drink San Miguel.

Just a further point for everyone's enligtenment. Last time I checked this "imported" lager was in fact a UK brewed lager with a foreign name. That's the excuse for jacking the price.

Sorry like i said i was there for the football , I went to watch Sheffield FC a team i started supporting last season , they own the pub and it is bang next door to the ground , so why would it be strange for me to go into this pub and purchase " what i want to drink " a nice cold San Miguel , would it be the same if i'd have fancied a J2O or would that of made it stranger , lol

Sorry like i said i was there for the football , I went to watch Sheffield FC a team i started supporting last season , they own the pub and it is bang next door to the ground , so why would it be strange for me to go into this pub and purchase " what i want to drink " a nice cold San Miguel , would it be the same if i'd have fancied a J2O or would that of made it stranger , lol

As you say the pub belongs to the football club, so I presume that buying drinks there is supporting the club.

As you say the pub belongs to the football club, so I presume that buying drinks there is supporting the club.

Indeed. The Thornbridge Brewery is owned by a director of the football club. The pub makes a profit which is good for the club, however it is an upmarket type of pub geared up for food so drinks are expensive. But as the pub is usually packed I think that most folk think it is value for what you get.

Regarding San Miguel, it is of course a fake foreign beer (It was brewed in Herefordsire last time I heard) heavily advertised and thus sold at a premium price. It is not one of Thornbridges products and therefore bought at market rate. There are other lagers available including a locally produced one that is far better value.

I love the pub and am prepared to pay that little bit extra for excellent food and beer sold in a confortable surroundings. I can also understand the frustration of the footy fan who pops out from the match for the same fizzy lager you can buy at the Wetherspoons for a quid a pint less. It all boils down to what you want from a pub and how you choose to support the club.

I have actually spoken to 4 people in the last week who have eaten at the Coach and Horses and all said they or one of their party had to send their meals back.

1 - couple of ladies had sandwiches and said they were minute with almost no fillings - very pricey for what it was - said wouldn't eat there again

2 - group of ladies - one had steak and said it was all gristle so sent it back and one had steak and ale pie and said it was very underdone - both meat and pastry - sent it back

3 couple who had a salad with bacon and said it was miniscule - should have been a starter not a main course

I have actually spoken to 4 people in the last week who have eaten at the Coach and Horses and all said they or one of their party had to send their meals back.

1 - couple of ladies had sandwiches and said they were minute with almost no fillings - very pricey for what it was - said wouldn't eat there again

2 - group of ladies - one had steak and said it was all gristle so sent it back and one had steak and ale pie and said it was very underdone - both meat and pastry - sent it back

3 couple who had a salad with bacon and said it was miniscule - should have been a starter not a main course

I always find it worrying on the Forum when people start posting heresay. ie so called facts from other peoples experiences.

I remember my time as a student when my fellow students would tell me of the endless women they had slept with, how many dozen pints they had drunk at a sitting, or how they had been abducted by aliens. This is all very well but I would never dream of placing these "facts" on record, particularly as I might get sued for doing so.