What do you buy in those Chinese supermarkets?

So now we know where they are, what do you buy in them?

I visit the one near Bramall Lane for the squid. I also buy a ton of other stuff I never know what to do with - the sea snails I had yesterday were foul. Anyhow, I'm a big fan of Dim Sum restaurant and I know they do a large range in the shop . . . but I never know which ones to buy. The ones I have tried I've had mixed results with, and I'm never sure whether to steam or fry them.

Any recommendations anyone???

do you have to be a member to go to this shop, or is it open to the public?

It's open to everyone but they do have a trade section.

We buy fried tofu, bean sprouts (so cheap) and noodles. We also stock up on the noodle snack packs, hubby loves the "proper" ones. I try to avoid the sweet/cake section but end up buying something from there too. Last thing was the sesame balls, which were lovely!

Anyone know where I can get vegetarian oyster sauce (yes it exists, it's made with mushrooms)? I know the one in Broomhill doesn't stock it, last time I went in the one near Bramall Lane I couldn't find any (nor any 'regular' oyster sauce, so maybe they'd run out or I was looking in the wrong place) and I don't recall seeing any in the one near Forbidden Planet...

Fresh galangal, kaffir lime leaves, bok choy, rice vinegar that sort of thing. Oh and bought a chinese tea set from the one next to the East Ocean Cafe

bought some rice wine from the one at darnel today! Im waiting for my new chinese cook book to be delivered so went in to see what things I could buy from there

Anyone know where I can get vegetarian oyster sauce (yes it exists, it's made with mushrooms)? I know the one in Broomhill doesn't stock it, last time I went in the one near Bramall Lane I couldn't find any (nor any 'regular' oyster sauce, so maybe they'd run out or I was looking in the wrong place) and I don't recall seeing any in the one near Forbidden Planet...

You may have to ask. Sometimes you do find these in stock when they can get it, because for the few practising buddhists, they will insist on this ingredient on certain days.

There is another place near the back of London Rd, which is the same as the one on London Rd, but bigger in size and more for trade. You can always ask them then. Else, it will have to be online, or from Manchester's Chinatown.

So now we know where they are, what do you buy in them?

I visit the one near Bramall Lane for the squid. I also buy a ton of other stuff I never know what to do with - the sea snails I had yesterday were foul. Anyhow, I'm a big fan of Dim Sum restaurant and I know they do a large range in the shop . . . but I never know which ones to buy. The ones I have tried I've had mixed results with, and I'm never sure whether to steam or fry them.

Any recommendations anyone???

Gosh, you're more adventurous than me! I don't think I've had sea snails before.

I normally go in there for the condiments. Some instant noodles. And their nice prawn flavoured sticks! :hihi: Maybe some green veg.

Check this link out for dim sum ideas.

http://www.emperorrestaurant.co.uk/DimSum.htm

Anyway, a lot of the brands now have an English description at the back as to how to cook them, no? Else, just look at the picture and see if its supposed to be steamed or fried.

I recommend this one. Steamed Roast Pork Buns!

I buy tom yum soup paste from the one off the moor. just mix it with boiling water and whatever ingredients you like, add coconut milk to make it a bit more creamy, really delicious.