Missing ram after upgrade 32bit OS

Ive recently upgraded my new pc with extra ram, it came with a 2gb stick in one of four slots, ive put another 3gb of memory in 3 x 1gb so all the dimm slots are full, windows tells me im currently using 3.3gb of memory the bios is detecting 5gb of memory.the ram i have purchased is correct for my motherboard and each stick is working when tried seperatly. Does anyone have any ideas. ive run a motherboard check on a website which says it will accept 8gb. there are no bios updates for me to do, im running vista home 32 bit, please help

Ive recently upgraded my new pc with extra ram, it came with a 2gb stick in one of four slots, ive put another 3gb of memory in 3 x 1gb so all the dimm slots are full, windows tells me im currently using 3.3gb of memory the bios is detecting 5gb of memory.the ram i have purchased is correct for my motherboard and each stick is working when tried seperatly. Does anyone have any ideas. ive run a motherboard check on a website which says it will accept 8gb. there are no bios updates for me to do, im running vista home 32 bit, please help

32bit systems will only see up to 2.25gb :thumbsup: although my work pc with XP Pro 32bit can see 3.25gb

I had the same thing when upgrading to 4gb, i had to swap my 32bit windows for a 64bit to get the full 4gb

vista 32 home can only recognise up to 4gb of memory, it will however only show about 3.5gb with the balance hidden for hardware drivers etc. if you go on microsofts vista web site you should be able to get the 64 bit version on dvd as long as you pc has a relevant processor

Please view here on all the posts about it on google land and they will all tell you the same.http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK286&=&q=vista+32bit+4gb+ram&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

You are using windows XP 32 bit. [Edit: <-doh, I'm not reading the first post properly again.]

Windows XP can only address 4gb, but graphics card memory and other things use addressing space so it only talks to 3.25 usually. It gets worse than this as XP can only allocate a max of 2 gig to individual applications, so much more than 2.5gb is usually wasted.

thanks chaps, i did hear something along those lines, my cpu will take 64 bit, but would it cost to upgrade it

thanks chaps, i did hear something along those lines, my cpu will take 64 bit, but would it cost to upgrade it

what cpu do you have now ?

athlon 9500+ quad, the reason i wanted to upgrade the ram is because the 2gb pc came with, the system was using 1.1 gb just to run

it seems that cpu is 64 bit but vista is 32 bit, dont know why pc has 32 bit windows on it.

Because most retailers are cheap, and won't offer x64 because it's extra price for them.

Zero compatibility issues with my Vista x64 so far, the only irritating thing is you cant change tcpip.sys without severely upsetting the system, but they raised limit to ~50 concurrent connections in SP1 so it should be ok.