Mega Thread: Email Spam/Scam & Virus Warnings

The university has told us about this virus It comes on the 3rd of every month, the uni have also just sent me a trojan something or other in an email what ever that is all my virus protection doesn't seem to be shifting it though.

I have just been informed that there is a potential threat from a virus that is due to be released tonight.

CAn anyone confirm or put pay to this rumour, if it is true is there any patches available yet?

Yes, read in The Mail today about it.The virus known as Grew.A or My Wife, tricks users by appearing as an e-mail attachment with subject lines such as "Hot Movie" "give me a kiss" and "Miss Lebanon 2006".It claims to be a movie or picture with some sort of sexual content.That is how it tricks you.So dont open any attachments.Ive just run a virus scan before coming on,and O.K.up to now,but I think they are still getting through.

The story was on Radio 4 as well; they said although it was targeted at businesses, estimated that some 300,000 computers are going to be affected and would ultimately cause most harm to home users.

I always find it realy interesting, how people react just because a story has got in the papers/radio/media they assume it's suddenly a worse threat than it ever was before.....they're just making news, it's what they do to sell papers...make money.

The best way to check for any types of new virus found is to go to a good AV website, like this http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

you can check it every day and be more prepared/paranoid, whatever floats your boat :thumbsup:

I have just been informed that there is a potential threat from a virus that is due to be released tonight.

CAn anyone confirm or put pay to this rumour, if it is true is there any patches available yet?

Blooming Terrorists. Is it like Anthrax this virus?

No patches for that just a chemical suit sorry.

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING

Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail such as

Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning

direct from both Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point

presentation "Life is beautiful."

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and

delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear on

your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer

beautiful." Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the

person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and

password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who

calls himself "life owner."