Mega Thread: Email Spam/Scam & Virus Warnings

as i recall you couldnt delete it tho as it was a file used by windows.

luckily for the hundreds of people that did try to delete it against my wishes!

nope, that was only if u were on a java webpage. u could delete it easily... :(

Just found this:

DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via email.

Virus hoax

Description

There are several versions of this hoax.

The text of the first version of this hoax reads as follows:

I received this from a reliable family friend this morning. 10/28/01 BIG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not not all.

If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. This is a serious one.

The text of the second version of this hoax reads as follows:

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Centre or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTRE. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11!

BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!

Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE

Microsoft have just issued a bulletin though involving ELEVEN URGENT security patches involving all versions of windows and Explorer from 5.1 onwards.

Full details at http://www.itsafe.gov.uk

That was the email i got ..

how come its a hoax and how do you know for sure :confused:

Originally posted by mer1002

That was the email i got ..

how come its a hoax and how do you know for sure :confused:

Because people are gullible... pure and simple...

As for this whole hoax thing.. I actually had a department head for where I was in uni (as a mature student) give me short shrift for providing links to information proving that a rather unlikely "mugging" scenario was in fact a hoax...

They then did what you did and said they had a friend of a colleague who's best mate knew someone who'd had it happen to them...

.. and these were people with doctorates...

Originally posted by Martin_s

.. and these were people with doctorates...

tell me about it.

Leave virus security to you AV software and keep it updated all the time - Warnings like these are , more often than not, hoaxes/timewasters.

It's not a case of being gullible .....just carefull

i have only had one virus but got rid pretty easy as phanerothyme sez 'cause my security was top notch !!

Cant understand why people do it, cant see wot buzz they get from it even if it get sent back to them ...pretty sad if u ask me some saddo spotty kid sat at his pc with nowt else better to do !!

I always liked the irish virus email, it went along the lines of:

"Greetings

You have just received the "IRISH VIRUS".

As we don't have any programming experience, this Virus works on the honour system.

Please delete all the files on your hard drive manually and forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

That'd be grand.

Thanks for your cooperation"

:hihi:

A new Internet virus has been detected that can infect Microsoft's Windows platforms faster than previous computer worms, said an anti-virus computer software maker.

The ZOTOB virus appeared shortly after the world's largest software maker warned of three newly found "critical" security flaws in its software, including one that could allow attackers to take complete control of a computer.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&summit=&storyid=2005-08-15T104030Z_01_DIT538409_RTRIDST_0_TECH-SINGAPORE-VIRUS-DC.XML

Not worried is I;).

Though I did wonder why NAV (stop laughing) updated today when I'd performed a manual update last night.

From what I've read, any decent (ZAP) firewall will stop it functioning (ie connecting to irc/altering hosts file etc). All you'd then need do is stop the file running (if it is), delete its' start up entry then simply delete the BOTZOR.EXE file in the %windir%/system folder:thumbsup:.