Mega Thread: Email Spam/Scam & Virus Warnings

*** VIRUS WARNING ***

If you receive an e-mail entitled "Bad times", delete it IMMEDIATELY.

Do not open it. Apparently this one is pretty nasty.

It will not only erase everything on your hard drive, but it will also delete

anything on disks within 20 feet of your computer. It demagnetises the strips on ALL of your credit cards. It reprograms your PIN number, screws up the tracking on your VCR and uses subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you attempt to play. It will program your phone auto-dial to call only 0898 numbers. This virus will mix antifreeze into your fish tank.

It will cause your toilet to flush while you are showering. It will drink ALL your beer.

It will leave **** stained underwear on the coffee table when you are expecting company. It will replace your shampoo with hair remover, and screw your current boy/girlfriend behind your back, while charging their hotel rendezvous and all their room service to your Visa card. It will cause you to run naked through the streets with scissors and gouge people's eyes out. It will rewrite your backup files, changing all your active verbs to passive tense and incorporating undetectable misspellings which grossly change the interpretations of key sentences.

If the "Badtimes" message opened in a Windows 95/98 environment, it will leave the toilet seat up and leave your hairdryer plugged in dangerously close to a full bathtub. It will refill your skimmed milk with Milk of Magnesia!

******* WARN AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN *******

And if you don't send this to 5000 people in 20 seconds you'll fart so hard that your right leg will spasm and shoot straight out in front of you, sending sparks that will ignite the person nearest you.

The scary thing is, the above post is 100% true.

this iz a damn scarey virus :evil:

Hello everybody....

had an email warning me so i thought i'd pass it on

Dont open ANY emails marked WTC survivor (stands for world trade centre) so people think its a story bout 9/11

But it wipes ur c: drive , friend of mine cannot use computer at all now !!!

thankyou i will look out for that one

Virus warning!!!!1!1

Caution! There is a new type of virus about which is propogating wildly throughout the world!! It works like this:

Someone makes up a completely false "virus e-mail" story (usually centred around opening a dubiously attractive attachment) and sends it to everyone they can think of.. People believe it, and so forward it to everyone they know.. Rinse and repeat..

Net result: a completely erroneous virus report being spread all over the world, clogging up mailservers and taking up peoples' valuable time as they fire off e-mails warning others about nothing..

General rule of thumb: ignore any and all virus warnings you get via e-mail unless they are from your sys admin or an offical virus authority (such as the authors of a virus package which you have purchased and installed)..

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

If you just open it?

That can put a virus on your computer?

Surely it asks you to install something?

Originally posted by IanMitchell

If you just open it?

That can put a virus on your computer?

Surely it asks you to install something?

lol clearly the sarcasm in my post was too subtle..

i would be inclined to ignore the OP's post.. these types of virus warnings are akin to worms themselves, in that they propogate throughout the world and cause needless mail traffic.. you will not have your hdd erased as a result of reading this e-mail..

incidentally, i don't mean this to sound as if i am accusing the OP of fabricating the story, simply that he has been taken in by a ruse that is becoming more and more prevalent on teh intarweb these days..

And the one a few years back telling people to delete a certain file that the virus apparently placed on the hard drive and it turns out to be one of the system files, erm one with a bear icon I think.... I had a few folk at work deleting it!

ah yes, the java debugger i think that was... i remember *nearly* falling for that 1