Mega Thread: Email Spam/Scam & Virus Warnings

You get what you pay for. I used to be an advocate of AVG but a few months ago it failed to pick up a virus I found. I left it a week and even Symantec failed to pick it up even after I submitted it to them!

Microsoft One Care came to my rescue in the end.

The latest version of AVG seems to have turned into bloatware in the very best model of Symantec - shame.

MS One Care? Tell me more.

MS One Care? Tell me more.

Its great, better spyware prevention, better firewall, tune-ups and AV in one.

I was very surprised when I found OneCare found the virus. I submitted the files to an online scanner and OneCare was one of the only apps to identify the file as a virus. Lucky for me I had a copy on the shelf, a freebie from a friend who works for Microsoft that I thought I would never use. I removed Zone Alarm, Spybot and Symantec AV and installed OneCare. It does all the jobs of the previous software but better and succeeded where Symantec failed.

Also its pretty cheap and you can have up to 3 PC's using the same version.

I have never looked back.

Microsoft OneCare

• Antivirus protection
  • Antispyware
  • Better Firewall than basic Windows Firewall
  • Performance tune-ups
  • Data backup and restore

Did you receive this email or are you passing on an email warning?

99% of these are hoaxes and the above warning sounds very much like a hoax. Saying that its a .zip file so gets through your spam filters is wrong in the first place, spam filters in most cases read the email text to determine whether or not it’s SPAM, plus all good email AV software will scan the contents of any attachment and pick up which ever virus/Trojan is inside.

I am yet to see one of these emails actually being in the wild.

I use Kaspersky and it quarantined the same email on my computer.

People I know who use Norton and AVG have had the email come through with no questions asked.

If you're going to buy an antivirus, I'd recommend ESET NOD32.

Microsoft can't do anything right so I would never trust them with PC security and antivirus.

I had this e-mail. Just stop and think for a moment though - how would the customs have got hold of your e-mail address?

I have clam-av on my companies mail server, it sends me reports of found viruses. There is abit of a surge at the moment, alot of "Your parcel is at the customs office", "Your order N2728056" and so on. All containing variations of a Zbot trojan, just be careful when you receive an email with an attachment.

Just found this warning posted on another Forum I use.

Please be extremely careful especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on.

This information arrived this morning direct from both Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation

'Life is beautiful.'

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES , and delete it immediately .

If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner.'

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and ask them to delete

C.F

There has been a lot in the news about the Asprox Virus infecting Govt websites like the NHS and UK businesses.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article4381034.ece

Only half of virus checkers are detecting it. Do any of the more technical forummers have any advice ?

the virus email in the op does sound like a hoax