John Lewis: Knowingly Undersold!

John Lewis: "Never Knowingly Undersold."

What a load of nonsense. I've just been into John Lewis in the city centre to buy a new Kitchenaid blender. I knew that House of Fraser and Professional Cookware Co. at Meadowhall both sold them for £99.95. However, on going into John Lewis I realised they were selling them for £109. But never fear, the John Lewis price promise was displayed on the shelf - "Never Knowingly Undersold". So I took the ticket to the lady at the counter and asked her if John Lewis would be prepared to match the shops at Meadowhall. Her reply was, "I'm sorry our price matching promise only applies in the city centre." My reply: "But nobody else sells them in the city centre." To which the lady smiled (annoyingly) and replied, "I'm sorry but the price matching promise only applies within the city centre". I must have looked accepting or blank and she asked, "Would you still like to purchase it?" I looked at her funny and said, "No - why would I want to do that? £10 is a month's worth of cinema (UGC Unlimited subscriber!) or a nice bottle of wine." The sales assistant looked really put out by this (which really infuriated me!) and I again said, "I don't think you price matching policy is very sensible and as a result John Lewis will lose a very easy £100 sale. Don't worry I'll buy it from your out of town competitor."

John Lewis : "Knowingly Undersold."

Well there's Cole Brothers making up their own rules again.

The undersale policy applies to all retailers within the store's delivery area. You can obtain a one-off undersale if you have eg a discount card for another store which proves you can obtain the goods for a cheaper price. A written quote (below shelf price) from a retailer such as Curry's also attracts a one off undersale.

I'm e-mailing John Lewis. I'm sick of the treatment that Cole's dish out to customers.

Strix is quite correct - the assistant should have matched the price on the spot. In this case, they wouldn't reduce the price on the shelf-edge price ticket (because the competitors are outside the city centre), but they should match the price to any customers who ask.

John - did you get the assistant's name? (They all wear name badges now.) Some staff training required here I think!

The policy can be read online here.

There are two subtle distinctions.

At the time of buying the price can be reduced there and then to match that seen in the local area.

If you buy the product and then see a comparable lower price anywhere in the UK, they will refund the difference if you make the claim.

Meadowhall does not fall in the local area and cannot be immediately checked. If you want a price match before purchase and you inform them of the Meadowhall price, they will have to check it out and call you when the match is confirmed (or not) for you to come and buy at the reduced rate.

Cunning eh?

Are there any John Lewis employees who can (having had training) give us a definitive answer?

I got my Kitchenaid mixer from Amazon.co.uk, for a good price too.

JonJ,

The last bit above (after editing) was confirmed by Sheffield customer service.

276 8511

Originally posted by cgksheff

JonJ,

The last bit above (after editing) was confirmed by Sheffield customer service.

276 8511

Sorry CGK added my post and then realised you'd edited yours. Thanks for checking by the way- John Lewis have just missed out on £100! :thumbsup:

Let me guess, Meadowhall is considered to be outside the "local" area?

Originally posted by nick2

I got my Kitchenaid mixer from Amazon.co.uk, for a good price too.

How have you found yours to be Nick? I've got one of the Kitchenaid Artisan mixers and was so impressed with it that I bought a blender too.

Originally posted by JonJParr

Are there any John Lewis employees who can (having had training) give us a definitive answer?

Yes, me. Ex-peterborough partner. The local area is usually defined as the free delivery area which is approx 30 mile radius of the store. Price checking at MH can be done by phone, or by the people JLP employ to check the prices of local competitors (I think the dapartment is called 'Merchandise')

Undersales are usually matched as a one off for customers' own circumstances. 'I visit Perth twice a month, and I can get this in McEwans department store for £5 less' should be matched in Sheffield as a one off.

I went into John Lewis not long ago to buy a printer and found theirs to be £10 cheaper than the next cheapest I could find (Maplins).

I went to Maplins, explained the situation and came out with a new printer a £1 cheaper than John Lewis' price!

That's what I call good customer service... :clap: