Pubs of yesteryear Pitsmoor

It's a bit odd none of you Pitsmoor locals remembered the Bay Horse - that and the old 'Gate' were probably the oldest pubs in Pitsmoor.

Back in 1972 I’d just started work at Thomas Rudd & Son which was on Woodfold earning the princely sum of $6.40 per week gross. The first pub I went in regularly was the Rock on Rock Street (the landlord turned a blind eye to pimply 16/17 olds on a quiet Wednesday night, provided you sat in the corner and behaved yourself)

Me and my mate Mark reckoned on needing 62p each for damn good night out. 13p a pint and 2 x 5p piece for the juke box gave us four pints each (more than enough at that age to get a wobble on as we walked home) and about 16 records of our choice. If we were feeling flush it was round to the white house chippy for a bit of supper.

I remember getting done for playing brag in the Rock many many years ago (got fined £5 and my name in the Star) with my mates. Always known as Rock Vegas after that.

Here you go kidorry, it's the Marshall TAVERN.

The Bridgefield, top of Fowler Street, the Woodman, opposite the bottom of Woodfold, the Fowler Street Hotel, corner of Hayward Road and Fowler Street, Fox and Duck, Pitsmoor Road. I guess the first three have gone to the great boozer heaven in the sky.

and so has the Fox and Duck - it was demolished a few years ago, shortly before the Highway and almost the entire Woodside housing estate.

Yeah, I remember the Bay Horse, it's where Mrs Silcox got done for after hours drinking. She was well known for airs and graces, she lived up Cookswood Road after all.

lisalee i now you know ronni jackson i wonder if you now louis and ted devine they lived on the first st rd past the shops going down nottiingham st to brunswick rd that was in the 60s

Yeah, I remember the Bay Horse, it's where Mrs Silcox got done for after hours drinking. She was well known for airs and graces, she lived up Cookswood Road after all.

Blimey, Mrs Silcox. My mum was her homehelp, lovely lady :thumbsup:

lisalee i now you know ronni jackson i wonder if you now louis and ted devine they lived on the first st rd past the shops going down nottiingham st to brunswick rd that was in the 60s

I know all the Jacksons, just got back in touch with the kids after years of not seeing them.

Im not old enough to know the Devines, wasnt born till 72! Do you remember the Darling family?

I remember getting done for playing brag in the Rock many many years ago (got fined £5 and my name in the Star) with my mates. Always known as Rock Vegas after that.

:hihi: my mum Ann worked there for years! Do you remember her?

hi i remember the highway and fox and duck sum good nites in there

There was a shop opposite the bottom of Woodfold pitsmoorlad, didn't do a lot as far as I remember, but a shop nontheless.

there was a grocery shop shop opposite the bottom of Wood Fold. Was it called Woodheads, can't remember a chip shop.

Chips ? we couldn't afford chips. There were 26 of us in one bed and we had to share a slice of bread and dripping .

Is The East House on Spital Hill still in existence ? I really must move back up north.