Pubs of yesteryear Pitsmoor

Are these really in Pitsmoor though.?..Think more Burngreave Ellesmere area than Pitsmoor.!

jt

Think , if you look at a street map you will find those pubs are in Pitsmoor, even Burngreave Cemetery is in Pitsmoor, some of the other pubs mentioned are more Woodside and Neepsend.

The Gardeners and the Crown(now offices) at the bottom of Rutland Rd

The Malton, the Sawmakers, the Wheatsheaf, the Stag,Brown Cow, I think there was one called Bridgehouses where the garage was opposite the Brow Cow(now Riverside)

Just to complicate things, where the Crown now is or was, stood The Rutland Hotel, the original Crown was opposite the Gardeners Rest.

Hey painterman, putting Neepsend on one side, I was born on Fox Street. Lived there and on Woodside Lane. I always regarded Woodside Lane as Pitsmoor. I think Woodside has become a district in itself, didn't used to be though. It was a long thoroughfare was Woodside Lane. Where I lived it was regarded as Pitsmoor (top end).

It seems a shame that Woodside Lane has been disregarded in recent years, It's been there a long time.

The Signpost on Andover Street, the Furnival, the Limes Club and the legend which is the Loco Club :thumbsup:

Is the Limes Club and Institute still in operation?

Hey painterman, putting Neepsend on one side, I was born on Fox Street. Lived there and on Woodside Lane. I always regarded Woodside Lane as Pitsmoor. I think Woodside has become a district in itself, didn't used to be though. It was a long thoroughfare was Woodside Lane. Where I lived it was regarded as Pitsmoor (top end).

It seems a shame that Woodside Lane has been disregarded in recent years, It's been there a long time.

I lived at the top of Woodside Lane, until the Slum Clearance in the 50s. It was about 300 yds from the Pitsmoor Club so, yes, I reckon it was Pitsmoor.

Is the Limes Club and Institute still in operation?

No, the Limes Club was flattened years ago. It's all housing there now.

As a matter of interest where would you draw the boundary line of Pitsmoor ? Would it include Nursery St for instance, and the Wicker ? I assume Spital Hill would be within, but it is really a continuation of The Wicker I would have thought. Whilst I am on, I used to have a pal on Woodfold, one Dave Blockley, and we used to do a fair bit of pushbiking round the area. Was there ever a take -away chinese chippie around the top of Woodside Lane in the mid 50's called Lin Hong or Chin Hong or is it my wonky memory playing tricks?

As a matter of interest where would you draw the boundary line of Pitsmoor ? Would it include Nursery St for instance, and the Wicker ? I assume Spital Hill would be within, but it is really a continuation of The Wicker I would have thought. Whilst I am on, I used to have a pal on Woodfold, one Dave Blockley, and we used to do a fair bit of pushbiking round the area. Was there ever a take -away chinese chippie around the top of Woodside Lane in the mid 50's called Lin Hong or Chin Hong or is it my wonky memory playing tricks?

There could well have been, when i was a kid i remember going in a lorry with a couple of other kids Aaron White's daughter was driving, we went looking around the demolition site and i can remember finding a set of false teeth made of gold i can remember it being from some chinese place but can't remember if it was a chippie, can remember the scutch my mother gave me when i took the teeth home, she binned them :D

would have been somewhere near the bottom of Woodfold

I think I missed some!!

Wasn't there a pub called The Vine - on Brunswick Road at the corner of Bramber Street?

Regards

There could well have been, when i was a kid i remember going in a lorry with a couple of other kids Aaron White's daughter was driving, we went looking around the demolition site and i can remember finding a set of false teeth made of gold i can remember it being from some chinese place but can't remember if it was a chippie, can remember the scutch my mother gave me when i took the teeth home, she binned them :D

would have been somewhere near the bottom of Woodfold

I lived at the bottom of Wood Fold, where it joined Woodside Lane. I can't recall a Chinese Take away or anyone with Gold false teeth. But I'll ask my Mum, she'll remember. Fancy throwing away a set of Gold false teeth, they would have been worth a few bob.

I lived at the bottom of Wood Fold, where it joined Woodside Lane. I can't recall a Chinese Take away or anyone with Gold false teeth. But I'll ask my Mum, she'll remember. Fancy throwing away a set of Gold false teeth, they would have been worth a few bob.

I remember there was quite a lot of papers about with Chinese type writing on, so presumed it was a Chinese family who'd lived there, but it was quite a few years back and if it wasn't for the teeth i'd have probably never remembered.

There was a shop opposite the bottom of Woodfold pitsmoorlad, didn't do a lot as far as I remember, but a shop nontheless.

I realize it's getting off subject, but I got to thinking about the Pitsmoor, boundaries. I think, to be fair, anything from Rugby Street down, could be regarded as Neepsend. Anything from the top of Cookswood Road would have to be Shirecliffe. Anything from the right hand side of Burngreave Road, Burngreave. Which leaves poor old Birley Street.