Pubs of yesteryear Pitsmoor

Totally disagree it was a good house and all the low life were barred! Obviously you didnt go in the pub after it was refurbished.

No Sarah only went in once that was enough. Prostitutes, pimps, rasters etc. definately not my cup of tea.

Dont know when yr talking about but my parents owned that pub in the very early 80's and they got rid of the crap. They sold it to Marstone brewery so dont know if it went down hill then. We had it totally refurbished and it looked good.

Has anyone mentioned the Gower Arms on opposite corner to Grapes on Gower Street. We lived just above in a row of 'back to back' houses. Fronts faced onto Gower Street and the other house at the back faced into a yard, which was what we lived in. There were toilet blocks in the middle of the yard. The houses across the yard had access to Clun Street. We got rehoused in 1963 due to slum clearance.

Hi I lived on Clun street we were moved from there for slum clearance in 1964 I remember a Family called Taylor that lived in a yard that had access to Clun Street The daughters Name Was Doreen

alot of people have a bad opinion of the gower st pubs but most of them have never been in them. Lovely people frequent these pubs, i wish i could get down there more often

alot of people have a bad opinion of the gower st pubs but most of them have never been in them. Lovely people frequent these pubs, i wish i could get down there more often

Totally agree with you rustybum.

Don't forget the 'Normanton' on Grimesthorpe Rd.

i knew the simpson family that had that pub. colin was the landlord, but he died in a car accident. there was his wife and they had two kids, the lad was called graham and the girl was susan i think

i knew the simpson family that had that pub. colin was the landlord, but he died in a car accident. there was his wife and they had two kids, the lad was called graham and the girl was susan i think

Colin's wife Margaret passed away a few months ago.

I remember the Catherine Arms on Catherine Street. They also had a shop called Binks or Biggs next door. I lived on Somerset Street.

was it the buckingham.pub .. yes it was iiam sure ..:huh:

That pub was the "BUCKENHAM Arms" on the corresponding corner the next street up from the Ditchingham Arms. My did used to go in there in the 50's and he referred to to the "Ditch" as "Dick Finney's" after the then landlord.

The pub you are thinking of, on Grimesthorpe road that Dick Finney kept was the Brunswick, It was on the corner of Ditchingham road. I used to live at the Buckenham from 1959_ 1964

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)s21680($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUdyaW1lc3Rob3JwZV9Sb2FkJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9Mg==

If this link works there is a photo of the Brunswick