Which films do you watch over and over again?

Which are your favourite films to watch over and over again?

Some are like a big comfy blanket (Grease, Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, When Harry met Sally, Four weddings and a funeral) you can dip in and out and still follow it.

Some you watch for the cinematography... ones i can think of were cape fear, rope, north by northwest, rules of attraction.

Some you watch to work out the story and see if there are plot holes and the imagery and themes in them... se7en, fight club, minority report, inside man, total recall, terminator, fatal attraction, robocop, donnie darko, sixth sense, usual suspects, american beauty... could go on and on in this category.

Some you just watch as they are damn entertaining... goonies, indiana jones, Back to futures, terminators, die hards.

It's A Wonderful Life - I watch this every year at least once and still love it, and still feel the tears welling up.

Robocop / Starship Troopers - I lump these together as I tend to watch them both after each other due to the similar tone, and Verhoven's style.

Donnie Darko - Beautiful.....just beautiful.

Lord of the Rings - I re-read the book every 3 years or so, and now also watch the trilogy too.

Airplane, Monty Python's Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles - my favourite 3 comedies

Finding Nemo - the best Pixar film in the collection....until Wall-E comes out on BluRay that is.

Evil Dead trilogy

Fight Club - I spent one week watching this every day (twice a few times)....much like....

Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Natural Born Killers.

Back to the Future, Goonies, Gremlins 1 & 2 - films from my youth which I still adore today.

Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back - Such great films (non-special garbage CGI editions). Jedi misses the rewatchability stakes thanks to the Ewoks which spoil it all for me. Don't even start me on the prequels (I don't own any of them, and never will)

Jaws - I can quote this film line for line I have seen it so much. Spielberg proved his skill early on and rarely beats it for pure thrill. Yes the shark looks fake, but it still chills you!

There are plenty more - every DVD I own is a film I can rewatch over and over depending on my mood.

All 6 Star Wars films, yes, even Return of the Jedi.

My comfort films are Groundhog Day (even with Andi MacWooden), Ghostbusters (both of them), The Mirror Has Two Faces (terrible but strangely compelling, especially with the bonus of Jeff Bridges and Lauren Bacall), Singin' in the Rain, Scrooged (but only at Christmas), and - bizarrely - The Silence of the Lambs.

They're films I can put on to 'watch' while knitting; I know them so well that each scene is burnt into my memory so I don't even have to look up from the needles.

Didn't realise I had such a thing for Bill Murray until I listed those.

Agreed on Robocop, only the first one though, Robocop 2 and 3 sucked majorly IMO, especially 3 as it was made "kid proof" to get a lower age rating.

Whatever happened to the Robocop TV series?

My comfort films are Groundhog Day (even with Andi MacWooden), Ghostbusters (both of them), The Mirror Has Two Faces (terrible but strangely compelling, especially with the bonus of Jeff Bridges and Lauren Bacall), Singin' in the Rain, Scrooged (but only at Christmas), and - bizarrely - The Silence of the Lambs.

They're films I can put on to 'watch' while knitting; I know them so well that each scene is burnt into my memory so I don't even have to look up from the needles.

Didn't realise I had such a thing for Bill Murray until I listed those.

Ah I think you've forgotten your thing for Mr Ramis!! He wrote Groundhog Day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Ramis

Angela's Ashes!

Ah I think you've forgotten your thing for Mr Ramis!! He wrote Groundhog Day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Ramis

But of course! I had forgotten about that. He's also in it :D . Not sure what he'd been up to in the intervening years, but I suspect pies were involved.

Ooh, and Green Card too, disturbingly also with Andi MacDowell, and I'd also forgotten about When Harry Met Sally.

Singin' in the Rain, Scrooged (but only at Christmas), and - bizarrely - The Silence of the Lambs.

I love Singin' in the Rain... well, most musicals of that era. Nothing finer when it's a drab day. :) Know what you mean about Silence of the Lambs too. That and The Usual Suspects are always watchable (even if it's with only half-an-eye!)

But of course! I had forgotten about that. He's also in it :D . Not sure what he'd been up to in the intervening years, but I suspect pies were involved.

Ooh, and Green Card too, disturbingly also with Andi MacDowell, and I'd also forgotten about When Harry Met Sally.

Yeah I like lots of films with Andi MacDowell in despite me thinking she's a bobbins actress! I think I just like saying Gerard De-pa-dew (Depardieu) though! :hihi:

Stir Crazy - perhaps the best film ever made

Ghostbusters - had that on again at the weekend

Dodgeball / Wedding Crashers / Happy Gilmore

all good for when you want light comedy and not to think too hard.

Agreed on Robocop, only the first one though, Robocop 2 and 3 sucked majorly IMO, especially 3 as it was made "kid proof" to get a lower age rating.

Whatever happened to the Robocop TV series?

I don't mind Robocop 2 so much. The level of ultra-violence was still right, and just enough of comic book legend Frank Miller's writing can be seen in it (he released a comic series a few years back which retold the events how he originally penned them before the other writer came in to 'tweak it' for the studio)

Robocop 3 was terrible - but the computer game of it on the Atari ST was pretty decent.

There were 2 TV series'. The first spun straight off the kiddy friendly 3rd film and was dross. The second mini-series (Prime Directives) tried to get it all back to the tone of the first 2 films (and even lifted a couple of stories from the comic book series), but the actor playing Robo was terrible....no match for Weller. Verhoven hinted that he would like to go back and make another Robocop film one day, but don't hold your breath on that.