Wisewood/Myers merger thread - Part 3

Thank you Kittenta :) That makes perfect sense. I'm sure he'll be fine and have a good time at school.

Thanks Fox. I'm not too worried about Myers reputation. I am a great believer that any child can succeed given the oppertunity and plenty of support from home :thumbsup:

After all, a school can't be expected to teach them everything they need to know and i'm more than willing to fill in the gaps.

As it now appears that there won't be two schools, the energy used in the protest could perhaps be channelled into making sure the culture and standards at Wisewood becomes the standard for the new school? I haven't called it Myers Grove, because I also think the new school could benefit from a new name? (Apologies if this has already been mooted, I must have missed it).

Im sure SOCS will be making a statement soon

But SOCS are not dropping there legal action for JUDICIAL review again we have been told we have a very strong case

also There is the planning stage to oppose - i.e extra traffic , high air pollution etc etc This is in the traffic impact report if anyone wants to see it on council website!

It goes on to say about "council officers having to go back and re-model"

So from socs point of view and the communities that are behind us we are still in there fighting and will keep doing so!!!

On top of a number of issues on this merger There will not be enuff places for pupils in the catchment area,

Given also according to "sheffield star" and lib dems and jim knight the problems about not enuff places ,traffic, no falling rolls etc they all agreed on this!

in my opinion tho im not sure how the government can BLACKMAIL Sheffield (sheffield star) in BSF funding - its a case of do as we say or else!!!!! i would class this as bullying!!

Now how are kids going to Learn or cut BULLYING out in schools when our labour government does it????:loopy:

I fully support further consultation regarding travel and transport Masons, however further delays to the build (which would mean planning objections) will surely just make this process long and drawn out for the children.

Bearing in mind that they could lose staff due to the fragility of the employment situation and not being able to make long term plans.

I fully support further consultation regarding travel and transport Masons, however further delays to the build (which would mean planning objections) will surely just make this process long and drawn out for the children.

Bearing in mind that they could lose staff due to the fragility of the employment situation and not being able to make long term plans.

I fully understand your point, but please also bear in mind all Teachers/staff will have to re-apply for there Jobs

And as stated before they will be job and staff loses on both sides if the merger goes ahead

Now if i was a teacher at wisewood who helped make the school 10th best in sheffield not sure id be too happy about having to re-apply for my job again!

As for the traffic issue im sure you may find alot of People who perhaps are not interested in the merger at all BUT are interested in traffic gridlock around malin bridge area and high air pollution, this will affect malin bridge big time!!

Pictures of traffic at school/work peak times have been taken , and it does not look good at present so add on around 250 cars (predicted maybe more) then we do seem to have big problems

The playing fields are not 1/4 mile away from Wisewood Secondary.

The children at Wisewood Secondary are getting a better education than the kids at Myers - like has been said before - its not the building that makes a school its the staff.

Hi again Loopylulu - couldn't agree more - the Wisewood staff and the leadership imo are actually outstanding - I think I hinted at that in my posting - that a new school coupled with these excellent staff and the kids will have a double win? If there is competition between teachers for posts, with this excellence of teraching as shown in results, isn't it clear who will get them? ( and actually I don't think that will happen - natural wastage, moving on etc etc between now and then - no competition really)

The playing fields are not 1/4 mile away from Wisewood Secondary.

The children at Wisewood Secondary are getting a better education than the kids at Myers - like has been said before - its not the building that makes a school its the staff.

Point taken - probabaly an overstatement here, but the real point I was trying to make was not about distabce but the split site issue?

I'm not thrilled at losing WW, its a brilliant school, but I'm a firm believer of working with what you've got, and hope that energies will be ploughed into getting the best out of the changes rather than continuing a campaign and raising the hopes of people when even our councillors (on all sides) now admit it wont be happening.

I think that this is amazingly pragmatic and honest. I think I probably went through all these emotions previously and came to the same conclusions. we just must get the best out of this new school for all our kids - the best facilities, the best curriculum, the best teaching - yes - even the best teaching. I just want to be quoted as saying that if any of us can influcen this, then we will not tolerate any standards of education in this new school on the Wood Lane site that compromises benefits to our kids or results. Thye kids deserve the best and its now up to us all to make sure they get the best from this new school. wisewood might well be 9th and Myers might well be a long way below that - but this nerw school should surely aspire to be 1st ????? That's what I want and that's what I want to see this school aim for - a school in this area of the city that stands up to the more priveleged areas and is talked about in the same breath as a Tapton or a Bents Green!

Harry, I try not to be antagonistic either. I try my best to present facts and figure in the debate. This is something that you may guess is very personal for me. I will be deeply effected by this in the years to come.

I am more than happy for people to have a different view than mine, like you, I think debate it good and both sides should have the right to voice their opinions and views.

Harry, this is (probably) the single biggest issue for me. I dont believe that people can make an fully informed decision on something without knowing the full facts and implications. (I have been trying to extract these from several sources without success).I appreciate you are for the merger and I understand alot of your reasons for this but I find it hard to understand how people can be all for closing a school/merging when there arent going to be enough places for the children in the area. This to be is a fundamental issue that seems to be hitting a brick wall.

Im all for your points a,b,c,d above, I just dont think the merger should plough ahead until the questions on numbers have been answered. Once its done there is no going back. I will be adding more details to the forum on this soon.

Shouting on a forum is WHEN YOU USE CAPITALS !!!! You are starting to catch on now.:hihi:

PS/ Sarcasm tonight is due to the press release. It aint personal to anyone. Feeling a little deflated and had a few beers. Will be bouncing back though.

Hi again Chavs,

Thank you for your considered response - much appreciated. I too as said, would like to see an end to this "numbers" issue - how do we get this one resolved though?

I'm not thrilled at losing WW, its a brilliant school, but I'm a firm believer of working with what you've got, and hope that energies will be ploughed into getting the best out of the changes rather than continuing a campaign and raising the hopes of people when even our councillors (on all sides) now admit it wont be happening.

I think that this is amazingly pragmatic and honest. I think I probably went through all these emotions previously and came to the same conclusions. we just must get the best out of this new school for all our kids - the best facilities, the best curriculum, the best teaching - yes - even the best teaching. I just want to be quoited as saying that if any of us can influcen this, then we will not tolerate any standards of education in this new school on the Wood Lane site that compromises benefits to our kids or results. Thye kids deserve the best and its now up to us all to make sure they get the best from this new school. wisewood might well be 9th and Myers might well be a long way below that - but this nerw school should surely aspire to be 1st ????? That's what I want and that's what I want to see this school aim for - a school in this area of the city that stands up to the more priveleged areas and is talked about in the same breath as a Tapton or a Bents Green!

All sounds good but like i say theres large numbers that will not get in the new school, the school will not be big enuff!

Also the communities are still against this- as im sure the above with new building best school etc etc was stated by labour council a long time ago BUT communities did not want it then so why would they change there minds now?

We all have opinions the communities against the merger seem to have theres and your very welcome to have yours but repeating the thing that got voters backs up in the first place is not a good start.

Unlike most here I'm a firm believer in the vendetta and revenge.

So what's all the fuss about then?

I see, its I'm all right jack from you.

So long, and thanks for all the fish:gag:

Unlike most here I'm a firm believer in the vendetta and revenge.

Not sure what you mean and who you are aiming at? The council? Labour? posters who appear to be in favour? Not sure of your point mate, and not sure that "revenge" is a useful tool? :confused: