Wisewood/Myers merger thread - Part 3

BREAKING NEWS (Sorry no link yet)

Lib Dems are claiming defeat with regards to the merger because of the 'blackmail' from the government. ie.. Sheffield will not get the funding if the merger doesnt go ahead (this was in The Star)

They will now not be trying to save Wisewood Secondary School from closure.

It will be in the news tomorrow.

BREAKING NEWS (Sorry no link yet)

Lib Dems are claiming defeat with regards to the merger because of the 'blackmail' from the government. ie.. Sheffield will not get the funding if the merger doesnt go ahead (this was in The Star)

They will now not be trying to save Wisewood Secondary School from closure.

It will be in the news tomorrow.

source???????????????

You and me both spooferman! Bradfield get a new build on their site, Myers, regardless of the merger or not get a new build on their site, and Wisewood just refurbished? - have people been on this small and antiquated site? It's already a "split site" school technically, as the kids have to walk a 1/4 mile or so to the playing fields! An obsolete building despite it's superior teaching, leadership and achievement. Our kids can have the best of both worlds in a new build on the Wood Lane site - and with the breadth of curriculum that will go with it - the best of both worlds. I would just hate to think of my kids in delapidated facilities between 2 new up to date and modern facilities in Bradfield and at Myers. My kids certainly deserve better and I will be sending them to the new school in 2011, with no worries at all - modern facilities, modern and wide expansive curriculum, a 2 mile walk there every day (saves sitting behind the Xbox and gets a reason for some serious physical activity). Thumbs up to the new school! :thumbsup:

The playing fields are not 1/4 mile away from Wisewood Secondary.

The children at Wisewood Secondary are getting a better education than the kids at Myers - like has been said before - its not the building that makes a school its the staff.

source???????????????

Radio Sheffield have rung me tonight for an interview - will be on the radio throughout the day tomorrow!!

I wouldnt make this up now would I? Im trying to save Wisewood - thought I would put it on here before the pro-merger lot!!

The lib dems have issued a press release tonight at 6.30pm.

So. I'll get something in early. As it stands presently I understand a merger is intended to ahead, yes?

Can someone explain to me as a parent with a child going up to myers in September why this is something I should be worried about?

Surely someone can answer my question? If it's an issue that's capable of arousing such strong feelings there must be someone who can deal with a straightforward query?

God Halibut, you dont give people much chance to reply do you before you are hassling? From 3.32 to 5.59 is not much time when people work!

My answers to your questions:

As it stands presently I understand a merger is intended to ahead, yes?

Yes

Can someone explain to me as a parent with a child going up to myers in September why this is something I should be worried about?

It isnt something you should/need be worrying about, thats your personal choice. If you dont want to be involved you dont need to be, just leave the threads that dont interest you alone.

Your children have places, your childrens future is secure. Unfortunately, it isnt the same for many other families that live in Myers (new school) catchment as from 2011 onwards there are far too many children in catchment than there are going to be places. THATS RATHER WORRYING FOR THEM.

The traffic around Malin Bridge may be a reason to be concerned but not if you dont live this end of it and dont use it. Again, if its NIMBY then you have nothing at all to worry about.

Personally, I would be worried about my childrens schooling full stop if they were attending or just about to start at a school with a notice to improve.

Here is the press release - I have just received it.

'News Release

Embargo: Immediate

GOVERNMENT DEFEATS LOCAL PEOPLE OVER WISEWOOD SCHOOL

The controlling Liberal Democrat Group on Sheffield City Council have reluctantly been forced to drop plans to keep Wisewood School open thanks to being effectively blackmailed by the Labour Government.

Despite the Lib Dems coming up with a plan to provide £25m for the two school solution, the Labour Government threatened to withdraw £100m investment from other Sheffield schools if the closure did not go ahead.

Cllr Andrew Sangar, Liberal Democrat Cabinet member for Children’s Services and Lifelong Learning, said: -

“It’s with deep regret that we have been forced into this position. After fighting for over two years, trying our hardest for a two school solution, defeat is difficult to take. But we have exhausted all the options and come to a point were if we don’t go ahead other Sheffield schools would lose £100 million of much needed investment.”

“When the Government refused to provide the funding we even offered a £25m option to fund the two school solution ourselves, something which Labour said wasn’t possible. So it’s deplorable that the Government turned us down despite the fact we put the extra funding up.”

“It’s clear that the decision was politically motivated and influenced by Labour locally and nationally. The Governments position would have been the same no matter what we did. I’m sorry that the Labour Party have ignored the wishes of local people and have effectively imposed the closure. This is a sad day for the Hillsborough community, who will lose an excellent local school thanks to Labour.”'

Good on you Harry. Glad you and yours are OK. (sarcasm mode on)

Despite being in between Bradfield and Myers with 3 kids I dont have a clue where mine will be going as probably wont get in Bradfield and cat in hells chance of getting into Myers but hey, yours OK.

I bet your glad to see the other thread removed. Gets you out of answering questions you wanted to avoid didnt it, didnt stop you asking though!!

Hi Chavs,

Not glad at all actually. All I want is some good debate and an acceptance that others do have an alternative view point - I have made mine quite clear. I do value your replies actually, but I am really stymied at times as I work away pretty much Monday to Friday and don't have internet access whilst away. I know this makes it really hard for me to keep up but I do try and catch up when back. There is no antagonism from me at all - I just want to ensure that this emotive debate does represent all views - if you ask me questions and I don't have answers, then that's fine but I sometimes don't know what answers people want from me - you all seem to presume I'm something to do with all this - I'm a parent with kids at Wisewood as said before and that's sufficient. I just happen to support the merger despite the antagonism and insults that I get when posting - I'm sorry, but I really do support it and am determined to ensure that this alternative view is made public. Nothing personal at all here Chavs at all, to you, Masons, Wolf, Loopy etc etc. And as said - no, I am not happy that the thread was removed as the debate was getting quite interesting.

What I would like to know is the follow up to the numbers arguement that has now taken over much of the postings -

a. Has any one directed this question at the planning dept in the Council?

b. Has anyone had a response?

c. Perhaps we should all approach and ask this question so that we are all speaking from full knowledge about how the info is being applied?

d. Does anyone have a contact that I could write to - outside city councillors - I'm fed up with the spin from all parties - Labout, Lib Dem, and others, and fed up with them all playing politics with mine and yours kids futures - I want a planning person to address this question of numbers publicly!

Hope this is not seen as shouting - not intended to be!

Chavs, I've had a couple of days leave this week, and am away again tomorrow until Friday - I'll be happy to try and log on over the weekend to address any comments, but please all, do not take my lack of response as being what you describe as a "troll" - it's just my working life unfortunately.

Cheers all, - Arwen (Harry)

Hi Chavs,

Not glad at all actually. All I want is some good debate and an acceptance that others do have an alternative view point - I have made mine quite clear.

There is no antagonism from me at all - I just want to ensure that this emotive debate does represent all views - if you ask me questions and I don't have answers, then that's fine but I sometimes don't know what answers people want from me - you all seem to presume I'm something to do with all this - I'm a parent with kids at Wisewood as said before and that's sufficient. I just happen to support the merger despite the antagonism and insults that I get when posting - I'm sorry, but I really do support it and am determined to ensure that this alternative view is made public. Nothing personal at all here Chavs at all, to you, Masons, Wolf, Loopy etc etc. And as said - no, I am not happy that the thread was removed as the debate was getting quite interesting.

Harry, I try not to be antagonistic either. I try my best to present facts and figure in the debate. This is something that you may guess is very personal for me. I will be deeply effected by this in the years to come.

I am more than happy for people to have a different view than mine, like you, I think debate it good and both sides should have the right to voice their opinions and views.

What I would like to know is the follow up to the numbers arguement that has now taken over much of the postings -

a. Has any one directed this question at the planning dept in the Council?

b. Has anyone had a response?

c. Perhaps we should all approach and ask this question so that we are all speaking from full knowledge about how the info is being applied?

d. Does anyone have a contact that I could write to - outside city councillors - I'm fed up with the spin from all parties - Labout, Lib Dem, and others, and fed up with them all playing politics with mine and yours kids futures - I want a planning person to address this question of numbers publicly!

Hope this is not seen as shouting - not intended to be!

Harry, this is (probably) the single biggest issue for me. I dont believe that people can make an fully informed decision on something without knowing the full facts and implications. (I have been trying to extract these from several sources without success).I appreciate you are for the merger and I understand alot of your reasons for this but I find it hard to understand how people can be all for closing a school/merging when there arent going to be enough places for the children in the area. This to be is a fundamental issue that seems to be hitting a brick wall.

Im all for your points a,b,c,d above, I just dont think the merger should plough ahead until the questions on numbers have been answered. Once its done there is no going back. I will be adding more details to the forum on this soon.

Shouting on a forum is WHEN YOU USE CAPITALS !!!! You are starting to catch on now.:hihi:

PS/ Sarcasm tonight is due to the press release. It aint personal to anyone. Feeling a little deflated and had a few beers. Will be bouncing back though.

My kids certainly deserve better and I will be sending them to the new school in 2011, with no worries at all

harry please don't make statements like this as though you will have a choice

If your kids are 13 years of age or below at the moment, live in the catchment and are not amongst the 200 or more overflow kids from the area that will be used as padding for every other school in sheffield with low numbers and you can't afford private education your parental choice is "take it or leave it"

There are only 9 better schools than Wisewood in Sheffield at the moment how much better do your kids deserve.

It may have suited some for all the previous thread to be deleted but it seems a little heavy handed to lose all that information so all you well informed people please resubmit the facts and figures on the pupil dip and peaks and the traffic pollution, walking distances, surely this can't be objected to

So. I'll get something in early. As it stands presently I understand a merger is intended to ahead, yes?

I also have a child moving up to Myers this September and I still think there are a few things to think about.

1: The increase of traffic which means it is not as safe for the kids walking to and from school.

2: Are all the teachers from Myers going to be the same in the new school or are they going to have to face a whole new set of teachers?

3: How much is the move from one building to the other going to effect their education at the time? There will be so much paper work etc etc to move, sort and so on.

4: Myers and Wisewood have always had a long standing argument with each other / school rivalry(sp?) so how are they going to cope with being brought under one building?

5: I don't actually live in catchment area so will my son be made to move schools when they merge so as the kids from Wisewood can go?

6: By the time all the moving and disruption happens, my lad will probably be in year 10 which is when, I believe, they start work on the GCSE course work? I could be wrong though.

5: I don't actually live in catchment area so will my son be made to move schools when they merge so as the kids from Wisewood can go?

I can answer that one - no he wont be made to move.

It may have suited some for all the previous thread to be deleted but it seems a little heavy handed to lose all that information so all you well informed people please resubmit the facts and figures on the pupil dip and peaks and the traffic pollution, walking distances, surely this can't be objected to

Dont worry, facts and figures coming back soon.

Noone has been able to answer questions on the pupil numbers in particular. These are not going to go away.