Moving to Sheffield from Australia

sheffield is not a bad city. But don't make a big mistake and move to England. The country is on it's knees and is going to the dogs thanks to many factors. unless you live in a shop doorway in australia i would reconsider and stay where you are.

plus you may take one look at our winter and decide it ain't for you. and no one would blame you if you did!!

sheffield is not a bad city. But don't make a big mistake and move to England. The country is on it's knees and is going to the dogs thanks to many factors. unless you live in a shop doorway in australia i would reconsider and stay where you are.

plus you may take one look at our winter and decide it ain't for you. and no one would blame you if you did!!

I hate to agree ... but they won't be here for ever! He's probably on a fixed contract and let's face it, a bit of travel and culture shock never hurt anyone. I just wish they'd been asking for a house swap for a couple of years :)

Hi there,

My sister in law is originally from Sydney and has lived here in the UK for 9yrs and loves it. She felt cut off from the rest of the world in Oz and loves the fact she can travel all over Europe in a few hours.

Even if you get a flat in the south of Sheffield, somewhere nice and leafy like Totley or Nether Edge it will take you less than an hour to get to Sheff Uni by car for your commute to work or school . You'll find asking peoples opinions of areas of Sheff on this forum can sometimes be confusing, if you live in one of the less sought after areas of Sheff it's a natural instinct to stick up for where you live if some one says it's a dump ( if that makes sense).

Anyway enjoy your time in Sheffield we're a friendly lot and surrounded by lots of beautiful countryside. :D

poppy is right, we do have some beautiful countryside and SOME people in sheffield are friendly. 1 piece of advice i would give is do not approach anyone who does not wear their cap in a conventional manner. chances are, they will have difficulties stringing more than 3 words together and will probably be aggressive

Wouldn't it be really nice to let people know what a great place Sheffield is ,give them positive suggestions, as many people have done, instead of moaning about the negative? Nowhere in the whole world is perfect and if you think it is then you are living a dream that really doesn't exist. I am soooooo tired of people putting places down, cities, areas, schools, based on out-dated info or plain snobbery or maybe just opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble?. Lots of schools in Sheffield are fabulous, and what works for your child may not be ideal for somebody else. There are great schools in areas that are not S11, eg Abbey Lane, Holt House, Sir Harold Jackson,and Meadowhead, which have improved massively in recent years, and there are some schools in the more well-off areas which are not pulling there weight.

I can't disagree about our weather - why mention our winter? Our summer ain't so good either.

I do disagree with your "on its knees" statement - the whole of Europe and the West will continue to feel the pinch with rising fuel costs etc. Presumably, Oz will suffer similarly.

Going to the dogs? You have been reading too many newspaper headlines, perhaps.

I guess the OP is seeing this a career- and life-experience-boosting good news item so you shouldn't pour cold water on it!

The OP won't see too much cricket over here to write home about, though!

..... I remember finding a flat advertised near High Storrs and Greystones - now how lucky would we be if that all fitted into place?

I live here, amongst the best schools in Sheffield are in High Storrs and Greystones :)

You would certainly get a small terraced house to rent in Greystones, and probably a flat higher up in High Storrs. It is on the bus route to the uni too, only a couple of miles away - have been to Aus three times as my in laws live there - hope you don't miss it - we don't get summer here anymore .... :(

I can't disagree about our weather - why mention our winter? Our summer ain't so good either.

I do disagree with your "on its knees" statement - the whole of Europe and the West will continue to feel the pinch with rising fuel costs etc. Presumably, Oz will suffer similarly.

Going to the dogs? You have been reading too many newspaper headlines, perhaps.

I guess the OP is seeing this a career- and life-experience-boosting good news item so you shouldn't pour cold water on it!

The OP won't see too much cricket over here to write home about, though!

The OP will be playing for England within 6 months! just think it is only fair that people hear both sides of the story. As for going to the dogs, i wasn't meaning recession wise etc. Just take a walk down the moor any lunchtime and take a look at the next generation, that's why it is going to the dogs. Compared to some cities in England Sheffield is great. But we shouldn't be trying to polish a turd :hihi:

But we shouldn't be trying to polish a turd :hihi:

lovely turn of phrase!

can't remember if it came from wordsworth or shakespeare

G'day Deb, your move wouldn't be connected with a certain new hotel on Bramall Lane would it? No matter, I fully recommend Hunters Bar Infants/Juniors and High Storrs (secondary)