Is Sheffield a "DANGEROUS CITY"?

Is sheffield a "DANGEROUS CITY"  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is sheffield a "DANGEROUS CITY"

• dangerous
    • just like the rest of the country
    • nothing to worry about

Cyclone---well, I do accept your evidence completely, especially since I haven't been down town on a Friday or Saturday for a few years now ! Believe it or not, it's nice to hear that things can be pleasant and enjoyable.

I think what happens is that the media don't actually tell outright lies about violence or yobbish behaviour but obviously, I know that bad news is always more newsworthy than good news. Spicy gossip is always more interesting than any other ! Anyway, the average family read that [and I honestly believe there has been an increase in bad behavior ] and decide not to risk it. Other factors, of course, are transport and perhaps the lack of family-style places to relax.

Anyway, I do wish you the best with many more nights out in Sheffield [ had a few good ones in the past myself ! ]. One last thing, Cyclone----remember that you're a fit, young man and as people get older they're bound to feel that much more vulnerable. Also of course, going out as a family in a potentially dodgy place, carries its own extra risks.

I'm not saying that the city centre is an ideal family venue on a Friday night, it is primarily full of people who are out for a drink, maybe after a meal, or during a meal, but a drink none the less. I wouldn't expect anyone to think of it as a family venue though, unless the family are late teens or older and their parents.

It is nice though to be able to walk around the city centre without fear, and self confidence probably has a lot to do with that, but only so much, if violence were that likely then as part of sensible self protection I'd avoid the area, being capable of fighting doesn't make it a pleasant activity.

There are areas that are probably better avoided if you're hammered or alone, but they tend to be where there are less people, not more, the bus station after all the buses have left for example.

The most worrying incidents from last Saturday night were the peace garden security frowning at us for splashing water on each other from the fountains, and the hotel staff suddenly deciding that I'd just walked in to use the loo and telling me off, despite me having been sat in the bar for the past two hours.

For those of you who think Sheffield is violent try visiting Romford on a Saturday night I had this unfortunate experience last weekend decided to stay there whilst attending a Wedding Reception on outskirts.

It reminded me of a Western just gangs fighting wherever you looked. I have never been so scared in my life and will never go back.

Sheffield is definately a great place to live in my opinion.

It's getting worse... lived here 40 years, nice buildings going up, education going down, antisocial behaviour at it's highest recorded!!

It's getting worse... lived here 40 years, nice buildings going up, education going down, antisocial behaviour at it's highest recorded!!

Really? Any evidence for that or are you just an avid reader of the Star?

The Star???? No i don't, but i am in the force if that helps!

Do you have any evidence that antisocial behaviour is at it's highest recorded?

or is it just a personal observation - I mean if you're a police officer you probably see more than most.....

Really? Any evidence for that or are you just an avid reader of the Star?

The Star???? No i don't, but i am in the force if that helps!

:hihi: would you prefer stats Halibut

:hihi: would you prefer stats Halibut

Well, put it this way Ian - one uncorroborated report from a copper hardly counts as unbiased evidence in my book........

Well, put it this way Ian - one uncorroborated report from a copper hardly counts as unbiased evidence in my book........

yes thats true but then i dont believe stats especially from this government saying violent crime is down.

You only need a pair of eyes and ears to know thats a blatant lie, even if its not up (which i think it certainly is) its deffo not down.

never ever been !!!!!

I'm not frightened travelling round this city, not even in Pitsmoor/ Burngreave or wherever.

i was born in grimesthorpe and lived there for 25 yrs my family all live in pitsmoor /burngreave and have done for over 30 yrs yes ther e has been shootings and stabbings but these happen all over the country i think if you are a sheffielder you seem to think that when you read about something like this it hits home more but compared to the killings in london ours is nothing i certainly dont feel threatened when i go back to sheffield to visit friends and family