The Peacock Owler Bar

or your not used to good food and like paying over the odds for mass produced tripe?

ha ha :D

yeah, could be that... but i doubt it as i eat out on a regular basis and i've been to some lovely restaurants

I used to work at the Peacock about 5 years ago. Just before I left they stopped making a lot of their own food and chose to buy stuff in. Its sad but its happening to alot of pubs these days. I personally wouldn't eat there now.

I used to work at the Peacock about 5 years ago. Just before I left they stopped making a lot of their own food and chose to buy stuff in. Its sad but its happening to alot of pubs these days. I personally wouldn't eat there now.

why wouldn't you eat there now?

i'm sure the first time i went in about 3 or 4 years ago i had home made sausages sourced from local farms and to be fair i was disappointed to not see anything like that on the menu on my last 2 visits (my partner and i always buy organic/free range/outdoor reared/local produce wherever possible)

however, it was packed out on wednesday night so i can't be alone in thinking it's nice. i'm not saying it's the best pub grub in the world, but i'm going to defend the peacock until i have a bad experience there myself (which hopefully will never happen). pubs are struggling enough without people giving it bad press for little or no reason

i'd love to hear some other recommendations though

Edited by paranoid

Any place that is a chain is a bad idea to eat in my opinion, home cooked food everytime for me.

Their menu is too big and varied. The majority of it must be pre packed & microwaved.

Aye .. I always find that with big menues. The Grouse and Claret at Rowsley, near Bakewell, is dreadful for microwaving everything !!

After using this place fairly regularly for about 40yrs have left it out for the past two.

No roasts left on a Sunday afternoon at 4`o clock, wrong order being brought and starters forgotten coupled with clueless teenage staff(all previously mentioned) put it off the list.

Been a regular over the last 8/10 years/

Always used it for family meals out but went last week and standards have def dropped.

The steak pie was full of gristle and comes with just a pie crust topping which in my opinion is not a pie.

Anyway lots of choices out there so I will be voting with my feet and not going back.

Even tho it wont get any international awards, the Scotsmans Pack at Hathersage is a much better "sunday lunch/pub food" destination

Ha ha this thread is great!!! I used to work there and am loving you lot ripping it to shreds!!! Keep up the good work!!! xx

A decade ago this place had a good rep, deserved aswell. How times change!

I've been for the past few years - admittedly it's not quite as good as it used to be but I still enjoy the meals there!