Council House in High Green - Should she take it?

Hi everyone, My friend has been offered a council House somewhere in High Green. But neither she nor I know anything about the area.

She has to let the council know by friday.

So, good and bad points please.

Thanks

Vanessa

xx

Hi Vanessa

Not sure re: High Green, never lived there.

Does your friend have a right to refuse it or is she bound to accept under homeless duties?

Just get her to double check as sometimes under homeless duties if temp or perm accommodation then majority of councils dont allow you to choose. Be careful and double check.

Lou

Thanks for the reply Lou - she isn't on prioity, and they have told her, that she can refuse the house if she wants to - she just wanted to know about the area to make a more informed decision

Vanessa, there's an old thread about the area, some very mixed feelings. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3467 Ignore the arguments about the boundaries! ;)

The best thing is to visit at different times and try and speak to some of the neighbours, the local shopkeepers and just get a feel for the place. Not much opportunity before tomorrow though!

I can imagine its difficult for her to decide - actually bidding successfully on a house must be a good feeling, they're as rare as hen's teeth, but moving to an unknown area can be a bit daunting. It depends how desperately she wants a council house I suppose.

She desperately needs the house, but She is also concerned about leaving this area to go right up to the north of sheffield.

Thank you for the thread, I shall point her in the right direction.

i live in high green and love it but it does depend where in high Green. Generally High Green is mixed housing private and council and has good schools and is close to chapeltown which has train station for sheffield, supermarket,banks shops etc. High Green is quite quiet and green. However there are a few roads where people say that teenagers are hanging around causing trouble. i have never seen this but it has driven some famillies out. My experience of high green is that it is a great place to live.

I lived there for about 16 years and couldn`t wait to get away (from the ex wife):hihi:

I lived on briary avenue, that`s at the bottom of the large tower block and it was bad around there with the shop and off licence being opposite. Also they seemed to house a lot of problem tenants in the flats along with druggies and asylum seekers. I was on the residents commitee panel and we were always trying to get it sorted. I`ve not lived there for 6 years now but according to my daughters, nothing`s changed.

Thanks for your replies, I'm not sure which parts of High Green it is to be honest.

But all feedback is gratefully recieved, as she only has until tomorrow to let them know.

I live in High Green, have lived here most of my life and generally love it. There are a few idiots around but the majority of people are lovely. There are good local facilities, and chapeltown is very close by, with a train station linking to meadowhall, town and barnsley ect. I'd tell her to take it, if she's in desperate need there are far far worse places to live in Sheffield.

Thanks Honey for the reply..I think she will take it, she just needed some reassurance!

Thanks Honey for the reply..I think she will take it, she just needed some reassurance!

if she wants some help with local facilities ect tell her to PM me!