Why do some people believe in God?

I suppose this is somehow linked to a few other threads of this nature, however, I am intrigued as to why those of you do believe, believe.

As far as I'm concerned, I see absolutely no evidence as to any god's existence.

And if there is one, why doesn't everyone who's ill, just flock to Lourdes and end up cured?

Maybe these are dumb questions and are indicative of my ignorance, however, I really just do not get it, at all.

I suppose this is somehow linked to a few other threads of this nature, however, I am intrigued as to why those of you do believe, believe.

As far as I'm concerned, I see absolutely no evidence as to any god's existence.

And if there is one, why doesn't everyone who's ill, just flock to Lourdes and end up cured?

Maybe these are dumb questions and are indicative of my ignorance, however, I really just do not get it, at all.

And may your god be with you

And may your god be with you
Allen was a comic genius.

Something to believe in.

Personally I'm an agnostic-leaning-towards-the-atheist-end-of-the-spectrum.

But I can see why it gives some people strength to believe in god, and I don't have a problem with it as long as they're not trying to force their ideals on others.

After all, it is faith we're talking about, not logical proof and scientific evidence.

And it also depends how you define "god" - an old man with a long beard sitting on a fluffy cloud? Or some other force?

I am highly sceptical about the existence of "god" in the traditional sense- but I definitely think things are connected in ways we don't understand. :suspect:

Something to believe in.

Personally I'm an agnostic-leaning-towards-the-atheist-end-of-the-spectrum.

But I can see why it gives some people strength to believe in god, and I don't have a problem with it as long as they're not trying to force their ideals on others.

After all, it is faith we're talking about, not logical proof and scientific evidence.

And it also depends how you define "god" - an old man with a long beard sitting on a fluffy cloud? Or some other force?

I am highly sceptical about the existence of "god" in the traditional sense- but I definitely think things are connected in ways we don't understand. :suspect:

I'd go with that.

Sometimes, arachnophobe, I've noticed, you articulate nicely what I can only fumble at in my own inarticlulasabilityness.

I'd go with that.

Sometimes, arachnophobe, I've noticed, you articulate nicely what I can only fumble at in my own inarticlulasabilityness.

:blush: Maybe the occassional articulate post makes up for all the incoherent blithering I usually do. Thanks Blob, you may be a kindred spirit. ;)

Usually no matter how much of a rotten apple one is

but when they fall on hard times

many of us find solice in the arms of religion at some point in our life

I have found through my personal experiances :)

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of believers just so happen to believe in the exact same deity as their parents in most cases the answer is; most people believe in 'insert name of deity/ies here' because they were brought up to do exactly that.

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of believers just so happen to believe in the exact same deity as their parents in most cases the answer is; most people believe in 'insert name of deity/ies here' because they were brought up to do exactly that.

Yes perhaps. I was raised a Catholic and don't believe in any of it. I rejected it all at 16.

many of us find solice in the arms of religion at some point in our life

Very true, especially when faced with impending tragedy, e.g the loss of a loved one, many hitherto non-religious people will turn to prayer.

Very true, especially when faced with impending tragedy, e.g the loss of a loved one, many hitherto non-religious people will turn to prayer.

yep that was what i was trying to say

:thumbsup:

thanks

Yes perhaps. I was raised a Catholic and don't believe in any of it. I rejected it all at 16.

Of course such indoctrination isn't 100% successful in 100% of cases (if it was I'd be a ultra-conservative evangelical christian) but it's rather hard to see any other explanation for the distribution of believers both around the world generally and within individual countries.