Question for Sheff Utd/Weds fans...

I am a student who goes to the odd game and have heard the song

"Can you hear United sing,

the Wednesday ran away,

and we will fight for ever more,

because of boxing day."

Can anyone explain the story behind this song to me? Thanks.

8) Nah Den Ace....

Over to the bitter and twisted Unitedites for this one then....

;) Ha ha ha!

Regards,

Spacehopper

its because the owls hammered em on boxing day 1970s and theyve never forgot it . it was 4 0 at hills in front of 48000 which is a record outside the ol first div. it realy gets on utds nerves, small club, small fanbase. up the owls:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by brooksy

its because the owls hammered em on boxing day 1970s and theyve never forgot it . it was 4 0 at hills in front of 48000 which is a record outside the ol first div. it realy gets on utds nerves, small club, small fanbase. up the owls:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't quite remember United having a 25th Anniversary dinner last December to celebrate one of - to quote them - "Wendy's greatest ever victories".

Typical attitude from the city's Third Division team. Can only talk about attendances. Start to talk about the quality football you are playing at moment, if your necks not hurting too much.

8) Nah Den Ace....

Originally posted by Assorted Random Blades

We sing that song because we have an inferiority complex. It is our raison d'etre.

You see we are not very good at football, we are not very well supported and nobody else likes us. For this reason, we particularly do not like our bigger and better neighbours Sheffield Wednesday. Quite simply, we are jealous!

Although we all wish our parents had bought us a blue and white scarf for christmas all those years ago, and saved us from a lifetime of misery.

Ho hum!

:thumbsup: Nuff said!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Nice false quote! You are suffering from a severe case of sour grapes just because you got absolutely thrashed in the first round against the mighty Swindon, while we drew (or as most people say... won) at Highbury and took Arsenal to penalties at Bramall Lane. What do you think the score would have been if Arsenal had been playing the Owls tonight at Hillsborough? 10-0 to the Owls?? Or 0-10 to Arsenal? Roflmao

Sometimes, when I can be bothered I like to look down the tables to see how Wednesday are doing.

Originally posted by Spacehopper

Nah Den Ace....

Is that like a reverse signature?.

How do i get one that says "What league are the oinks in?...Ace"

8) Nah Den Ace....

Originally posted by vidster

Is that like a reverse signature?.

How do i get one that says "What league are the oinks in?...Ace"

Well surely that would be "pihsnoipmahC ehT"

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Originally posted by carcrash

Sometimes, when I can be bothered I like to look down the tables to see how Wednesday are doing.

They're doing ok in the 3rd division with (I think) their 8th manager in 10 seasons!

I hope the Blades fans don't decide to go that way ... calling for Warnock's head while the Blades are still in the top half of the table... and end up with a "sack the manager every few months" mentality which that would lead to. The reason we are still doing well and near the top of the Championship is that we have a good manager who is a Blades fan and is good at managing the very limited money the Board throw his way.

I think if he takes the risk of playing Beckett from the start at Cardiff on Saturday then we should be well on our way to the play offs!

Originally posted by Spacehopper

8) Nah Den Ace....

Well surely that would be "pihsnoipmahC ehT"

Regards,

Spacehopper.

I'm thinking the Oink needs help with his spelling!.

The 'OLD THIRD DIVISION' isn't spelt "pihsnoipmahC ehT"

Here you go Wendy..;) .......iespell

8) Nah Den Ace....

Originally posted by vidster

I'm thinking the Oink needs help with his spelling!.

The 'OLD THIRD DIVISION' isn't spelt "pihsnoipmahC ehT"

Here you go Wendy..;) .......iespell

Well spotted! So even you can summise from the information given, that Sheffield United are in The Championship (or to use your numbering system, OLD DIVISION TWO) and it is they who are quaintly known by the footballing world as "The Pigs".

Anymore for anymore?

Regards,

Spacehopper.