Meadowhall retail world - Parking fines

Hi, just a follow up to this, spent a wet afternoon in Grimsby 18 months ago and decided to go and get the mini munsters (4,2 & 1) some new trainers and the eldest a bike for his birthday. The wife went to Next and we officially spent 2 hrs 14 mins in the retail park. Two days later, invoice from Excel for £170 lands on the doormat. Corresponded by letter asking for proof and reason. Return letter stated that I was in breach of contract, stated clearly on notices in car park but offered a reduction (50%) if paid within 14 days.

There is a good article by Anarchon on here which is correct. Also to be in breach of contract both parties have to be willing to enter it. On a wet afternoon, in unfamiliar surroundings, to actually to be able to see a couple of postage stamp notices tied to lampposts with 3 youngsters in tow, quite clearly I never willingly entered into this contract.

My message is this: I agree with Anarchon. Don't pay it: They will threaten you with court action. Send a return letter, stating that if they want to take you to court go ahead. They have 14 days to replay. After that any further correspondance can be adjudged as harrassment.

After all, you have not committed a criminal offence!

One last thing, I am surprised that stores such as JJB, Sports Soccer & Next where customers spend good money allow these vultures to threaten their trade.

We had one of these, claimed we were in there for 191 minutes but we weren't.

We'd gone in early in the morning, shopped at Homebase then went to meadowhall(with the car) returning about 3 hours later to get a coffee from Maccy D's.

They obviously tracked us in but not out the first time then on the 2nd visit not in but out.

Rang em up, disputed it but they said if we didn't provide a receipt we'd be pursued for the 'fine'.

Had a thought and got onto security at Meadowhall as they have the ANPR cameras, got the required evidence showing we were actually in meadowhall carpark at the time of the alleged offence.

I then rang up G24 and told them I was not paying as I wasn't in the carpark for 3+ hours - I never disclosed the evidence / proof I had - they said I had to pay to which I replied they were a bunch of cowboys and if they wanted to pursue me then they were not to bother with debt collection agencies, just summons me to court and i'll see them there.

Also threatened to report them to SY police for harassment - next day I had a letter in the post saying that they were not pursuing it any further :loopy:

I was really looking forward to going to court armed with the ANPR report from Meadowhall security and reporting them for harassment to the police.

Do not be fooled by the official looking letters, they are nothing more than an invoice with a fancy title (parking charge notification) - they are requesting a payment from you, you choose to pay it or not.

If this cowboy outfit does try and take anyone to court, get in touch with me and i'll attend as a witness with my evidience showing that their cameras are a pile of you know what.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of someone who has suffered negatively because they refused to pay up to this scam? (Taken to court etc?) I ask because I am now 5 months down the line and they are threatening to mess up my credit rating and I'm about to move house. I do not want to pay because everything about it feels, in my gut, wrong.

The only way this could POTENTIALLY impact on your credit record is if the company took you to court and obtained a county court judgement (CCJ) against you and you then decided not to pay this. So, even if they did the most unlikely thing of taking you to court and even more unlikely they actually won the case, your credit record would still be untarnished if you then paid.

They will tell you anything to get you to pay - they know full well there is no point taking you to court because you will win and they will be left with the costs and, depending on the judge, may even have to pay compensation to you!

excel is that the company that clamps 92 year old ladies visiting the hospital,and are in the top 100 of the local companies that make loads of dosh...

just don't use companies that use this firm...ask when shopping who's patrolling the car park,if they say excel bugger off sharpish.....

Meadowhall retail park use G24 Ltd

http://www.g24.co.uk/

read this, http://neilherron.blogspot.com/2008/09/g24-parking-expose-in-sun-anpr-for-toys.html

Angela Smith, Labour MP for Sheffield Hillsborough, is mounting a major challenge to private car parking firms like G24.

Mrs Smith has written to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly to highlight her concerns that companies are using heavy-handed tactics to make money and are accessing people’s details via the DVLA.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/article1691229.ece

You should be allowed to park in the retail park after the shops have closed and not have any time restriction.

I went to the cinema last night and as usual the centertainment car park was full so we parked at the retail park. The film lasted 2 hours and with the adverts and half an hour spare before the start I am thinking that I may get a parking notice for parking maybe 3 minuites over the 3 hours.

The centertainment carpark is not large enough to accomadate the amount of people that go there.

How many seats are in the cinema? as well as the restaurants etc.

How many parking places are there

I'm surprised that parking attendants have not been there to put tickets on the cars that park on the foot paths there.

I think ill go to the cinema in town next time