'Dressed Leaves' the decline of lettuce and fanciful menu descriptions

I always find the phrase 'signature dish' amusing. The use of this phrase is presumably meant to signify that the food you are about to eat was designed by an artist, deserving of no less respect than that bestowed upon great painters or sculptors.

I have to admit to not having come across that term Lord Chaverly (Mrs Draggle is muttering that she has heard of it)

Only to be found in top restaurants I presume?

*Thinks - if McDonalds had a signature dish, what would it be? :D

Maccy D's do have a 'signature dish' - it's a Big Mac :rolleyes:

'vine tomatoes' .... opposed to what? what else do they grow on ?

also, why do we get a full biography of where the stuff is from .... for instance .....A Ravioli in the Colours of the Kingdom of Naples filled with Scottish Lobster, Salmon and Ginger from the Windward Islands and topped with Deep Fried Leeks (actual menu item)

.............. and why is 'baby carots' deemed posher than adult carots?

Why dont they cut the crap and just say what it is .............

Finest scotish prawns drizzled with our signiture sauce and laid on a bed of suculent mixed leaves and sprinkled with fresh spanish lemon juice, delightfully garnished and served with wholemeal dough balls and an accompimenent of crushed yellow cornish butter ............ which acctually means ...... prawn cocktail and a buttered breadcake:rolleyes:

I blame Marks and Spencer. Their unbelievably patronising adverts have created the myth that if you stick a pretentious adjective in front of a food item, that item suddenly improves in quality.

"This is not just tea. This is hot-water infused, hand-brewed, milk-blended tea"

I blame Marks and Spencer. Their unbelievably patronising adverts have created the myth that if you stick a pretentious adjective in front of a food item, that item suddenly improves in quality.

"

But its not just unbelievable patronising adverts, its Marks and Spencers unbelievable patronising adverts . (sorry, someone had to)

I almost overcame my rage at the mention of the Ploughmans Lunch, then I noticed it came served with 'Red Onion Marmalade' - did they mean onion relish I wondered?

No, I get red onion marmalade fron Sainbury's. It's different to relish.

Oh, and it's lovely with goat's cheese and dressed leaf salad;)

I hate the 'hand picked' thing. I don't rightly care wether they were picked by hand, by shovel or some bloody great machine.

Picking/preparing stuff by hand doesn't make it taste better :rant:

No, I get red onion marmalade fron Sainbury's. It's different to relish.

That's cleared that one up then .... sort of ..... I normally associate marmalade with toast, not a ploughmans lunch :suspect:

Definition of marmalade (Wikipedia)

"British-style marmalade is a sweet preserve with a bitter tang made from fruit, sugar and water"

Just as I thought, no mention of onions ;)

A couple of these are fair enough though...

Pan-fried as a pose to deep-fried... vine-ripened tomatoes are ones that are ripened on the vine as a pose to picked when green and forced red in a warehouse by ethylene gas...

That's cleared that one up then .... sort of ..... I normally associate marmalade with toast, not a ploughmans lunch :suspect:

Definition of marmalade (Wikipedia)

"British-style marmalade is a sweet preserve with a bitter tang made from fruit, sugar and water"

Just as I thought, no mention of onions ;)

There's a jar of sweet potato marmalade in our fridge - purchased at Sheffield Fair :thumbsup:

it's a confusing product which we struggle to find things to use it with :hihi:

A couple of these are fair enough though...

Pan-fried as a pose to deep-fried... vine-ripened tomatoes are ones that are ripened on the vine as a pose to picked when green and forced red in a warehouse by ethylene gas...

... and consequently have a deeper, richer flavour :thumbsup:

A succulent 4oz sausage chargrilled to your liking, with sweet pan fried onions served in a fresh white roll, garnished with a full rack of home-cooked rustic chipped potatoes ... A Hot Dog and chips.

Always sticks in my mind from a few years ago at the Wheatsheaf, Baslow.