'Dressed Leaves' the decline of lettuce and fanciful menu descriptions

Whilst perusing a menu today at the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow I became suddenly irate at the offering of 'Dressed Leaves'

Did they mean lettuce with a bit of oil and vinegar, or a blob of salad cream, I wondered?

(Previous rants of mine have been sparked at offerings of 'seasonal leaves' and 'mixed leaves' - after all I'm a yorkshireman, I like to call a lettuce a lettuce....)

I almost overcame my rage at the mention of the Ploughmans Lunch, then I noticed it came served with 'Red Onion Marmalade' - did they mean onion relish I wondered?

It was all too much, we got in the car and had a good honest tuna melt and chips at the Hammer and Pincers down the road.

Have you ever raged, fumed or split your sides laughing at a fanciful menu description?

funnily enough - we don't get to see many of those ;)

places that allow dogs are mostly more down to earth :D

Fresh bonio with a coulis of entrails, or perhaps winalot surprise with a dash of pal :hihi::hihi:

Leave him in the car and bring him back a deep fried finger of locally produced tuber ..... er, sorry, a chip.

After all, he's just a dawg :hihi::D

I particularly like the use of words like nestling and enrobed in these pretentious :hihi: offerings

I particularly like the use of words like nestling and enrobed in these pretentious :hihi: offerings

Don't, I can feel my blood pressure rising .... 'enrobed' :rant:

I always find the phrase 'signature dish' amusing. The use of this phrase is presumably meant to signify that the food you are about to eat was designed by an artist, deserving of no less respect than that bestowed upon great painters or sculptors.

'Crushed potatoes' always makes me smile, whats wrong with good old fashioned mash?

Don't, I can feel my blood pressure rising .... 'enrobed' :rant:

It's quite handy though, it usually means second rate microwaved crap gussied up with a dribble of something noxious. One look at the menu and you know you're in for a massive disappointment.

Would you like your meat "pan fried" sir, or would you like it fried in something else?

Fresh bonio with a coulis of entrails, or perhaps winalot surprise with a dash of pal :hihi::hihi:

More like left over sausages some kid didn't finish - at least that's the only reason I can think of that Brude's dinner arrived before our's - though it was free :D

The only thing that bugs me more is when they do this:

Bangers & Mash

Locally produced pork sausage with dill and rosemary

served on a bed of King Edward creamed potatoes

topped with our chef's world renowned stilton sauce

:gag:

You should see what they can do to fish & chips too :rant:

'Crushed potatoes' always makes me smile, whats wrong with good old fashioned mash?

Perhaps they're crushed by the sheer weight of pretention, usually though it just means lumpy mash we couldn't be bothered to make right though.