Knock off Nigel

Have you seen the website:

http://www.knockoffornot.com/default.aspx

I'm still trying to work out the point of the commercial. Who is it aimed at? What is it trying to achieve?

It all seems very silly and meaningless, especially when you take the quiz, and reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch "L is for Labour, L is for Lice".

How about this one then, if i wrote an essay on say, the socio-economic developement of Venezuela in the 9th century, and spent weeks researching it, and wrote it out on my computer.

Then some dude comes along and copies it onto his USB thing while i'm in the toilet or something, hands it in and gets an A in his Socioeconomic history of Venezuela (9th C) class. According to some of you that's not stealing because there's no physical thing that he's deprived me of, i've still got the file. However as a result of my hard work he's gained something. I would feel completely cheated.

When you watch a good film you've gained something, whether the film changed your life or just kept you from getting bored for a couple of hours the fact remains that you have gotten something as a direct consequence of the hard work of someone else and they should be paid for it.

How about this one then, if i wrote an essay on say, the socio-economic developement of Venezuela in the 9th century, and spent weeks researching it, and wrote it out on my computer.

Then some dude comes along and copies it onto his USB thing while i'm in the toilet or something, hands it in and gets an A in his Socioeconomic history of Venezuela (9th C) class. According to some of you that's not stealing because there's no physical thing that he's deprived me of, i've still got the file. However as a result of my hard work he's gained something. I would feel completely cheated.

When you watch a good film you've gained something, whether the film changed your life or just kept you from getting bored for a couple of hours the fact remains that you have gotten something as a direct consequence of the hard work of someone else and they should be paid for it.

He's cheated at virtually no cost which, although very annoying, hasn't cost you anything as you needed to spend the time and money anyway. If he had paid you for your work and then passed the exam would that make you feel any better? I hope not.

I don't think any of these analogies can be comparable with the crime in question. Maybe because it is new technology there is no analogy to compare?

I don't think any of these analogies can be comparable with the crime in question. Maybe because it is new technology there is no analogy to compare?
There are other partial analogies in industry and an analogy can be made with pirate videos when that first started in 80s and various premises were getting raided.

In other businesses there are legal issues where people have been sued for using others property for financial gain and this includes things as diverse as bread trays, pallets, beer kegs and gas bottles where the owner of those items uses them to distribute their product and anyone other than their customer (effectively the licensee) is not permitted to use it for any other purpose. There have also been numerous legal cases over copying clothes etc and using other brand names. However the difference is that these are all tangible items that can be physically moved about, internet stuff is more difficult to deal with and more freely available.

There's an analogy with copying tapes from your friends or making a mix tape for your girlfriend, using a vcr and borrowing the tape, taking a photocopy of something or lending a dvd to a friend.

Technically all are breaches of the same civil law (well, lending the dvd is probably a eula contract breach instead of copyright), the only difference is that the internet has made it easier to perform these casual breaches of copyright. It has had no demonstrable affect on the profits of the music or film companies.

i think he has a valid point

He has a valid point if you actually believe that there is a good reason one person is born rich and another is born poor...

It's a good point if you are some sort of law inforcement, and you actually believe you have a right to tell another person what they can and cant do...

Their are many people in the business because they love the business.. they would play free gigs and give away stuff if it werent for the people that own them... if you think streaming music and movies is a crime then why is you tube full of music..

Its all about the man at the top getting his porshe and his private jet... We the peasants.... subsidise it.. If you want to buy them their mansions go ahead... Im happy with the free stuff... :cool: as are many others...

He has a valid point if you actually believe that there is a good reason one person is born rich and another is born poor...

It's a good point if you are some sort of law inforcement, and you actually believe you have a right to tell another person what they can and cant do...

Most people agree with this right, it's why we lock up people who murder for example.

Their are many people in the business because they love the business.. they would play free gigs and give away stuff if it werent for the people that own them... if you think streaming music and movies is a crime then why is you tube full of music..

Its all about the man at the top getting his porshe and his private jet... We the peasants.... subsidise it.. If you want to buy them their mansions go ahead... Im happy with the free stuff... :cool: as are many others...

i said he had a valid point i didnt say i agreed :hihi::hihi: i love the free stuff too watched a good copy of wanted lastnight that i found on my computer :D:D how did that get there :huh::huh: