Sheffield Station - Checking Tickets

If you go to any station with a similar setup (and there are many!) the barriers don't stop public access. They're not unreasonable people. The platform ticket system works very well, it's not a 'catch-all' by any means but it's a great help.

If you go to any station with a similar setup (and there are many!) the barriers don't stop public access. They're not unreasonable people. The platform ticket system works very well, it's not a 'catch-all' by any means but it's a great help.

I agree, however we don't actually know what East Midlands are doing, if anything to protect their revenue from people passing through Sheffield. Until some facts are forthcoming, people are speculating.

If this scheme does go ahead then I'm going to show my displeasure by boycotting all the shops in the station. No coffees, no magazines, no snacks, no use of the cashpoints. I'd suggest that anyone else annoyed by this does the same.

Well I'd avoid the shops anyway with the prices they charge, barrier or no barrier. As for a cashpoint, I can't see how boycotting a cash machine would have much of an impact! It's not like they're the ones that charge £1.75 a time so I hardly imagine they are there for profit or that any boycotting of them would concern the banks given that 100's of other people would continue to use them daily...

Everyone has the power of arrest, do RPI/O's get an extended power of arrest like constables?

According to the RPI I asked, he has the same powers as the BTPolice. A BTP officer was there as I talked to him, so I'm taking this as correct.

Whereas a RPA has the same powers of arrest as any other member of the public.

Oh, and back on topic, the barriers were there again today (they weren't yesterday).

I agree, however we don't actually know what East Midlands are doing, if anything to protect their revenue from people passing through Sheffield. Until some facts are forthcoming, people are speculating.

People seem to be very het up with it all. Let's look at it reasonably - many other stations of a similar size with a similar thoroughfare have barriers. At those stations public access isn't prohibited. It would, imo, be extremely brave of the station operators to deviate from that norm in Sheffield. And let's not forget, even if they DO, there's another footbridge just metres away, and other crossing points within a few hundred metres either side. The second bridge may not be suitable for all, and that could be an issue, but as it would seem unlikely the main bridge would be closed as a thoroughfare, it doesn't seem relevant.

Gosh, there are some conspiricy theories here aren't there!

People seem to be very het up with it all. Let's look at it reasonably - many other stations of a similar size with a similar thoroughfare have barriers. At those stations public access isn't prohibited. It would, imo, be extremely brave of the station operators to deviate from that norm in Sheffield. And let's not forget, even if they DO, there's another footbridge just metres away, and other crossing points within a few hundred metres either side. The second bridge may not be suitable for all, and that could be an issue, but as it would seem unlikely the main bridge would be closed as a thoroughfare, it doesn't seem relevant.

Oh I agree with you 100%, you'd think the world was coming to an end the way some people are talking. :hihi:

And anyone threatening to boycott use of the station over such a small thing that is likely not going to happen anyway would be missing out on the bevvy of cuties currently handing out free cans of Coke Zero :)

I'm going to stop using the train station toilets as a protest and from now on intend to donate all my urine to the bus station toilets instead.

That'll learn 'em!

The interchange toilets are way better!

Just to cheer the fare dodgers up, Donny, Manchester and others are considering the barriers too. As told to me yesterday by "a man in the know".

Same person who told me about Sheffield barriers over a year ago.

The bridge to the side of the station which has been mentioned, lies next to the BTP building. It is structurally sound, it won't fall to pieces while you walk across it.

However, it is filthy (there is human excrement present on it), it is inaccesible to disabled people, tricky for bicycles etc., it is a common place for drug abuse (crack smoking, injecting etc.).

It is also a common place for muggings etc. (relatively speaking).

It is a FOO%*** disgrace.

Demolish it!

Or at least do it up into something that is presentable.

For a person entering Sheffield, it could be one of the first places they walk through (if they exit towards Park Hill and realise their mistake).

Imagine if they saw people smoking crack, booting up, and a person taking a dump, before being mugged. Or even just the filthy state of that bridge.

I don't think they would be wanting to return soon.