Sheffield Station - Checking Tickets

and if they were not checked off, how would the protectionistas know if someone had sneaked off on a train, using the platform tickets?

The whole point of a revenue block is that you dont know that there will be one at your destination.

You cant just walk off a train, get a platform ticket and hand it in. You will get caught, as the many many people who get prosecuted for fare evasion each month will tell you.

Can't see what the problem is if you have a valid ticket to travel on the train

I cannot see anything wrong with a company protecting the revenue...First bus company have done these on a number of occasions and have been very succesful in catching fare dodgers, over-riders and most of all those who alter or forge day, weekly or monthly tickets!!...they have done this with police assistance.

Dont forget people that these morons are one of the reasons why public transport fare charges rise(not the only reason)

On first if any of these people are caught doing the above then they recieve a Standard Fare Notice which is a charge of £35...and failing to pay this may result in Court proceedings and end up paying a lot more!

I seem to remember Central Trains (when they were called that), names and shamed fare dodgers on posters in train stations and newspaper adverts. Wonder if East Midlands Trains will do the same

The footbridge was partly paid for by public money, so is therefore a public walkway. East Midlands Trains don't have the right to block people from using that walkway. I'm going to contact Private Eye and ask them to look into this because I suspect East Midlands Trains will be breaking the law by installing these ticket barriers. Should be interesting........

Just because something is partially paid by public money does not necessarily mean that they don't have a right to block whatever access they choose. Lots of projects, buildings and public spaces are partially or fully paid by public money but it doesn't mean we call all go wondering through them! Sheffield Station is owned by EMT and so they can do what they want with it.

Personally I think the ticket barriers are a good idea. Quickest and easiest way to stop fare dodgers. I travel to Leeds and Leicester regularly and they have had them for a while with no problems.

I don't mind the idea of barriers to prevent fare-dodging, but the station is slap-bang in between a residential area and part of the city centre. If they prevent access through the station it's going to double the time it takes to get from my house to the shops up from Hallam Uni, and make it a royal pain in the bum going to the Moor, for example.

Sheffield Station is owned by EMT and so they can do what they want with it.

Sheffield station is managed by EMT who is a Train Operating Company (TOC) with the current contract but owned by Network Rail. Its the same with the livery they use as they are leased!

What kind of responses did you get for this? If I was walking through from the tram stop and someone stopped me to ask where I was going, I'd tell them to mind their own business.

Oh yeah we got those comments and those that completely ignored you as if you didn't exist or did not speak English naturally so you had to try and explain and also as well we got the ones rushing in briefcase in hand shouting wheres the next train to Manchester (or whereever) go from - expecting you to know cos you had a yellow jacket on. But as we did not work for the railway we only gave out info we knew personally or point to the screen of departures

I'm not casting aspersions on you personally here DeliveryDan, it was just that your post serves as a good introduction for the following:

On Monday and Tuesday I walked through the station in both directions during the day to get between town and home. It's the quickest route for me by at least 15 minutes (at least it is when I'm going to Uni end of West Street which is my most frequent destination).

I was given a platform ticket each time, and I noticed that they were numbered. I thought it might have been some sort of counting system, but I also noticed that the numbered tickets handed in as I exited the station were given out straight away to people entering.

I actually stopped and watched for a few minutes. The numbered 'platform tickets' weren't checked off on any forms or paperwork, they were just handed back out to the next person going through. If this was how the number of people going through the station was being monitored, then it was (deliberately) manipulated.

We did not give out tickets when we did our survey earlier this year we had counting machines which one of us clicked for every person coming through the doors another one of us also asked each person if they were going to a train or passing through and counted each answer accordingly. These figures were added up every half hour or hour and recorded throughout the day.

There was a difference between each set of figures as the count of actual people coming through the doors included those people who ignored you/waved a dismissive hand as they rushed past/told you to b***** off wheras the breakdown list didnt

Just because something is partially paid by public money does not necessarily mean that they don't have a right to block whatever access they choose. Lots of projects, buildings and public spaces are partially or fully paid by public money but it doesn't mean we call all go wondering through them! Sheffield Station is owned by EMT and so they can do what they want with it.

Those buildings aren't designed to be walked through though, whereas the Supertram footbridge obviously is. Even if it's not illegal for East Midlands Trains to block off the footbridge as a public thoroughfare (and I still suspect that it is), it's morally wrong. They've taken control of something which was set up partly with public money as a public thoroughfare, and are now going to close it off as a public thoroughfare. In my book that's theft.

It seems to me that East Midlands Trains' attitude is that as it was Midland Mainline who were involved in the creation of the footbridge and not them, that they're therefore not bound by the terms of the agreement.

I'm against the idea of ticket barriers full stop because I don't like being treated with suspicion, but if there are going to be barriers, there's no reason why they can't be at the bottom/top of each footbridge flight of stairs. No reason at all.

If this scheme does go ahead then I'm going to show my displeasure by boycotting all the shops in the station. No coffees, no magazines, no snacks, no use of the cashpoints. I'd suggest that anyone else annoyed by this does the same.

They're not going to close it off! Where does this keep coming from?

They're not going to close it off! Where does this keep coming from?

I think it keeps coming up because that's not been confirmed (to my knowledge). To not close it off the barriers would have to be on each patform which is a much larger task than just barriers at the entrance and exit - I think this is why it is under debate. Are you in a position to confirm that the bridge won't be closed for those who use it? I assume they won't bother with a platform ticket system as it's open to, and would be abused.