Anyone from the Woodthorpe area?

Miss T.----I don 't really ' know ' any Maws now, but I went to Woodthorpe Primary school from about 1945-46 until 1949 and I can remember a ' Georgie Maw ' or ' Gordon Maw ' [ memory fading a bit ! ]. Not much help, sorry, but, perhaps part of the jigsaw ?

Miss T.----I don 't really ' know ' any Maws now, but I went to Woodthorpe Primary school from about 1945-46 until 1949 and I can remember a ' Georgie Maw ' or ' Gordon Maw ' [ memory fading a bit ! ]. Not much help, sorry, but, perhaps part of the jigsaw ?

yes thats right, he was my grandad, but passed away now, i never got to know him because he died after i was born.

MissT-----Glad to be able to give you a bit of info. I can even remember, vaguely, that your grandad was a fairly tall, thinnish boy, with dark hair. The only other name I remember from our class is ' Trevor Bullivant ' who lived on Chadwick Road, about halfway between the school & Woodhouse Road.

Did your grandad ever mention the lady who lived on the corner of Chadwick Road And Audrey Road ? Sometimes she used to make lovely toffee lollipops and we kids would call at her back door to buy one, after school, if we heard she was ' in business '. Our first teacher was a Miss Vaughn [ sp. ? ].

I dreaded leaving there and moving right across town, but like most kids, I suppose, I soon got used to my new ' borstal '----new canes, new detentions, new lines.......happy days really ! With the strict discipline,we kids felt more united and at least the teachers never used to mug us or beat us up after school !

my mum said she rememberd him saying about the lollipops, she also says do you remember any of his brothers.

I was at Woodthorpe school between 1944 and 1950 and I remember an Albert Maw, a tall thin kid. I can't remember much about him as our paths never crossed outside school. I also remember the purveyor of toffee apples!

Mike

Edited by Puffin4

Puffin4,

Yes, MissTwinkle mentioned there were some brothers. Do you remember Miss Vaughn ? I can 't remember now, if I started school in Jan. 1945, Sept. 1945....or Jan. 1946 ! Anyway, Miss Vaughn was my first teacher. My much older cousin had also done her teaching practice there, during the war-----Miss Mumford-----ring a bell at all ?

Also, I remember the Priest family from Chadwick Road, but not at the school itself. We all used to play [ and have stone fights ! ] in the field that lay between Woodhouse Road and Lowburn Road. Happy Days-----Sore Heads !

Hi Fareast,

I don't recall either of the teachers you mentioned. The head at the infants was Miss Birley and my class teacher was Miss Hopkins. The junior school head was Mrs Batey, who administered the cane to me on several occasions, mainly for being late. Both the heads were of similar build; short portly. My class teacher for most of my time in the juniors was Miss Edith Duncan who went on to become the head at Ellesmere Road Juniors.

I didn't live close to the school, I grew up on Richmond Hill Road, down near the park and my daily trip to the infants was on the 32 bus (a ha'penny half please) - about two stops if I recall. Dinner money was two bob a week and the milk was free. We also used to take a tanner a week for our bank; when our account reached £1, it was transferred into a Trustee Savings Bank account.

I left Woodthorpe in 1950, when I went on to Nether Edge Grammar to finish my growing up!

Mike

MissT-----Glad to be able to give you a bit of info. I can even remember, vaguely, that your grandad was a fairly tall, thinnish boy, with dark hair. The only other name I remember from our class is ' Trevor Bullivant ' who lived on Chadwick Road, about halfway between the school & Woodhouse Road.

Did your grandad ever mention the lady who lived on the corner of Chadwick Road And Audrey Road ? Sometimes she used to make lovely toffee lollipops and we kids would call at her back door to buy one, after school, if we heard she was ' in business '. Our first teacher was a Miss Vaughn [ sp. ? ].

I dreaded leaving there and moving right across town, but like most kids, I suppose, I soon got used to my new ' borstal '----new canes, new detentions, new lines.......happy days really ! With the strict discipline,we kids felt more united and at least the teachers never used to mug us or beat us up after school !

Hi Fareast,

I too remember the lady who sold the lollipops. We used to go from Standhouse School on the Manor to Woodthorpe Baths for swimming lessons. We used to spend our 1d bus fare home on a lollipop, and then have to walk all the way up the hill back to the Manor. As I remember, the lollipops were disc shaped mounted on a stick and were made of cinder type toffee. Worth the walk home (unless the weather was really bad).

Did your grandad ever mention the lady who lived on the corner of Chadwick Road And Audrey Road ? Sometimes she used to make lovely toffee lollipops and we kids would call at her back door to buy one

My parents moved in to the first house on Audrey Rd back in 1960. The old lady who lived in the house next to us was (the address was 52 Chadwick Road) was old "Mrs Smith". I remember her disk shaped toffee lollies very well !

Does anyone remember the Matthews family? They lived at No 60 Fishponds Rd. :thumbsup:

i remember the mathews i think there was martin vincent and trevor that i recall

Hi Kirky what road is the pics taken on cheers

no it wasnt a shop my parents live there from 1973

Any one remember Zaffa M'bye and Andy Lilliker (Lil/Lilly)? Would be interesting to know what they are doing now.

yes used to play football with them zaffa came to my surprise 40th some 6 years ago