Would you employ cleaners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities?

I am trying to find out if people would use a cleaning service in their homes which was made up of adults with learning difficulties and/or disabilities.

I am currently working with adults who fit this criteria and I am training them in life skills and skills which would benefit them in employment. I would like to help them gain emplyoyment that helped them to apply the skills they have learnt and have thought about starting a cleaning business. They will all have CRB checks and be trained to a high standard and I would supervise at all times. We would also have insurance and follow the correct safety policies such as COSSH.

I would be grateful for any feedback or ideas.

Thanks

If they can do the job; what's the problem. We all have different skills and disabilities. I have a friend with a son with learning difficulties who does this job at a hospital. He is their first choice for overtime.

I think this is a brilliant idea. Good luck with it!

We did employ here a person with Aspergers syndrome and he was a better worker than any we have had !!! his only downfall was that his communication skills weren't good with people but he could clean a hutch better than i can , he handled the animals with loving tender care and loved being here, he has now gone onto vets school starting in september which is fantastic.

I would have no problem in using a service like this providing of course the correct insurance/risk assessment type stuff had been done.

The experience's I've had with people with learning disabilities is that once you tell them what to do, they do it with no questions asked, and just as you've told them to do, if they have a fault it they don't know when to stop, you have to tell them to go home. Keep up the good work

I actually feel that people with disabilities do a better job than some one without .

I have experience with both and i would choose the one with disabilties over the one without.

The only thing that would worry me is if my situation changed and I didn't need them any more, whether they would be upset by it. I'd need to be able to talk to the person who is supporting them to make sure they were okay about it.

sometimes they don't need support , our worker worked on his own and remploy offered to support but we never need this , just because they have disabilities doesn't mean they have to treated differently .

I frequently use cleaners for one off jobs before a property goes to rental and be happy to use a service such as this. I always prepare a list of exactly what requires doing so as long as the folks doing the work can stick to the job we'd be fine.

Let me know if you get this up and running and I'd be happy to have a chat about using the service.

I would have no concerns about this at all - good luck with it!

Sounds good to me as long as they are reaping the benefits too. I hope that they will be getting paid?