Ridiculous Virgin Broadband Speeds in Sheffield

all these providers are the same

State one speed but give another

Dont talk to me about bloody Virgin, they're nothing but hassle! I badly need internet access to be reliable as I work from home, not just during weekdays, however far too often for my liking, I've no access at all... We're all the time getting people out to fix problems, and each time they come, they spend ages (in fairness to them), but still never quite work out what's wrong - though they admit something's up. Had no internet all last weekend, which really did my head in!

But now, also since the weekend, I've had no landline - the phone's working fine but I can neither ring out nor receive calls - which is incredibly annoying at the moment, coz I need to maintain regular contract with home, and cannot afford to be ringing internationally from my mobile. When I rang up to report the fault on Monday, the earliest timeslot they could give me was this Friday - at which point I'll not have had landline access for a whole week! Really isn't on!

If youre getting nowhere with them, contact OFCOM they will put you onto CESAS. They hammered Pipex for me from an issue last year and got ALL my money back and the bonus ball is, every time CESAS write to the ISP they charge them £450 for it.

Edit: In my opinion, you seeing a difference if disconnecting line 3 was just Chance, and was probably due to rubbish cabling methods in the 1st place, by the way line 3 was terminated or not I don't know. Many times I've rewired houses to BT spec (no actually miles better) and speeds have leaped from previous broadband speed tests.

is the problem with vm broadband in the whole of Sheffield as we are moving soon and not wanting to rub it in get great speeds up north it will be a real shock to the system

I have been with Virgin for nearly a year and have not had any problems with them.

I put my post code into a website and it suggested that due to my distance from the exchange I should expect 3Mb connection. My router is telling me that I am actually getting just over 4Mb, so I mustn't grumble. I am paying for the up to 8Mb service.

Over the last couple of years my phone has lost connection about 3 times but that is a BT line problem. On the last occasion the phone line was dead but broadband was still OK??

I tend to use the Internet mainly after 9pm, I have a son who uses MSN and You tube quite a bit and occasional streaming tv/films and my neighbour piggybacks wirelessly to our router but I think they are light users. I have not noticed any speed problems.

So far not needed to contact customer services so can't comment.

Generally satisfied with the service.

I am in Handsworth area and think my exchange is towards Woodhouse.

thanks for that mustchat that has reassured me some what we will give it a wizz and see what happens.

Virgin Media

Customer Service Manager 01924 215918 (direct Line)

This is Residential Sales Managers number for new custoerms so Don't call it.

Tried the "bellwire fix" tonight. Speed went up from 2400kbs to nearly 3500!

Thanks to all who suggested this fix

Cheque in the post?!

Glad it worked for you.....

I have had major problems with my connection running like a dial up service i am on the xl package i rang the tec guys and found out my modem was that old it couldnt get anymore than a meg connection i have had a new modem fitted and logged a complaint for compensation as they havent kept their side of my contract as i would never get a connection over meg even though i was paying for upto meg

I am still having probelms after 6pm at night untill around 2am in morning but all they say to me it must be your computer not their connection

Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired

I discovered that in order to be able to watch the WWE wrestling on Virgin Media, I'd have to pay an extra £28 a month for subscription to Sky Sports on top of what I'd already be paying to VM.
Probably best you can't get Vermin Media then...

Cheque in the post?!

Glad it worked for you.....

It WOULD have been, but it's in my other jacket pocket. Which the dog ate. After my mum washed it and left it on the bus :wink:

Thanks for advice!