Ridiculous Virgin Broadband Speeds in Sheffield

...When it's on it's fast, but when it's off it's err off. Very frustrating to be honest....

I had been starting to think it might be my modem and/or router playing up so good to see someone else suffers same ;)

I've noticed when uploading patches for my PS3 that the speeds drop massively. i called them to say that it was unnaceptable to which the lady replied they do not support PS3 networking and I should refrain from using my connection to get onto the Playstation Network !! :loopy:

count yourself lucky! my connection for the last month / month and half, maybe long lasts on average 6 mins then restarts!! yesterday it restarted every min until late at night which it stayed on then!

im gettin a BT engineer out tomorrow to look at it as Virgin are the slowest people to solve your problems

I came accross the 'bellwire fix' - turns out whoever laid the wiring did a shoddy job of it, I did the bellwire fix and had no problems since.

Yup - the bellwire fix is a good suggestion, unless you've got one of the older type boxes.....apparently you're "not allowed" to meddle with that version.

An outfit called Vispa has started selling something called an iplate (£17-ish), which claims to speed things up considerably, but those "in the know" claim that the (free) bellwire fix does exactly the same.....

I've often had problems with Virgin Media products. Its mainly their television stuff that has caused me the most hassel though. Almost a month before they would come out to tell me my box was broken. I'd told them that, so why did ihave to wait a month for them to repeat it to me?!?!

Yup - the bellwire fix is a good suggestion, unless you've got one of the older type boxes.....apparently you're "not allowed" to meddle with that version.

An outfit called Vispa has started selling something called an iplate (£17-ish), which claims to speed things up considerably, but those "in the know" claim that the (free) bellwire fix does exactly the same.....

Just realised that I forgot to show the link, for anybody who's interested.....

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

Aol are the worst and there Customer service is an Absolute Disgrace they have people from 5000 miles away in India on the phone who can barely speak a word of english which makes it even worse as it is hard to tell what they are saying.:mad:

I've noticed when uploading patches for my PS3 that the speeds drop massively. i called them to say that it was unnaceptable to which the lady replied they do not support PS3 networking and I should refrain from using my connection to get onto the Playstation Network !! :loopy:

It's any excuse, I'm suprised they didn't tell you it was smething wrong with your PS3 ;) Seems to be the general jist of VM's customer service.

Most people will be falling foul of VM's traffic management system. Use your connection at full speed for 30 mins (on all the tarrifs), you will be capped to 1/4 of your advertised rate for 5 hours. This is active for 10 hours a day (mainly 10am->9pm). If you're capped at 8:59pm, you will stay capped for 5 hours from that time.

It's part of the Fair Use Policy, which no one in their right mind would call anything like fair. It's just an excuse to give less and charge more.

ive been on orange for far too long

it says 52kbps but it rarely gets above 3kbps when downloading,

they say they can't upgrade me to broadband,but won't say what the problem is,

i was on the verge of heading the way of virgin .. but i doub't that after reading the above posts :rolleyes:

the nets lost its glam to me,all the providers are just into ripping their customers off,

i pay £17 per month for the rubbish service i get,even when you are having problems with yours i bet your still getting faster speeds than i put up with :rolleyes:

JJ..

is the problem with vm broadband in the whole of Sheffield as we are moving soon and not wanting to rub it in get great speeds up north it will be a real shock to the system

Virgin Media

Customer Service Manager 01924 215918 (direct Line)

Virgin Media

Customer Service Manager 01924 215918 (direct Line)

Cheers for that, somebody is going to get a gob full tomorrow