Ridiculous Virgin Broadband Speeds in Sheffield

PC speed does have impact on data handling with your internet connection. I have numerous PC's dotted around my house, all CAT6 to the router via a Allied Telesyn 100m switch. On a 1.4ghz laptop I have a speedtest of around 6mb down 400k up, with any of the PC's I see between 14 and 20m down and usually a solid 1.3m up. ISP is BETHERE.CO.UK

I'm with you there, bethere is great I get a solid 12-15 meg(2 miles from exchange) and 1.0-1.3 up, best thing is I d/l around 300-500gb a month and they haven't capped me.

________

YZF-R1

Edited by Bonjon

They've been very flakey recently. Earlier in the week I assumed I'd been upgraded to 10Mbps but now it's lower than it was on 4Mbps...thank God I'm quiting them next month.

Thankfully i have cancelled the virgin service, tv, phone and internet, im now with BT and use o2, 8 meg connection and as im a customer it costs me £7.50 a month and i have sky installed, best move i ever did, Virgin are beyond useless, they down right lie to you about their service levels, i would never use them or recommend them to anone else ever again

My speeds have improved immensely in the last few weeks, so it looks like my area finally got that upgrade they promised. I'm on 10 meg, but normally get around 8.

Can echo what Kayde and Nicoracle have said. We were also told it would be fixed on December 12th, which didn't happen. When I phoned up a couple of weeks ago the woman said that the problem was all because of the rubbish infrastructure which they inherited from Telewest (they didn't inherit anything from Telewest - they merged with Virgin Mobile and changed their name). She told me a UBR was replaced on 12th December but one in a neighbouring area was causing problems and it would be fixed "for good" when that UBR is replaced on January 21st and that there wouldn't be any problems at all after that. Phoned them on the evening of 21st after there was no change - they had no explanation for why it hadn't happened and said they'd send an engineer to us. He came, and told us there was nothing he could do. He actually told us that the UBRs need replacing, it should have been done a long time ago, that none of them actually have been replaced but Virgin Media have absolutely no plans to do it.

If they ever tell you that they are going to do some maintenance, this list of their "upcoming" maintenance (notice the dates) will give you a clue. http://status-cable.virginmedia.com:80/vmstatus/maintenance.do

Engineer came tonight. Admitted I'm essentially getting a 0.2meg service for the 10 meg service I'm paying for. As others have said, the UBR's need replacing. He told me it may not be this month or next, when I said that I'd heard his manager on the phone say it might not even be done by December, he was all sheepish.

Was also told that because S8 is a student(y) area, we were also being capped.

When I called them yesterday to disconnect, the woman said it was not due to capping, was not due to local area issues and the overusage, and also told me I had no knowledge of computers and my download speeds were fine.

Also that my AVG security software TREMENDOUSLY slowed down my computer. When I told her that I was going to email AVG and quote what she'd just told me, she backed down pretty sharpish.

So lies lies and more lies.

I've just got off the phone, and have been told that I'm not going to be charged for the internet for the next 2 months. If the upgrade takes longer, I'm to ring back and get the charges cancelled until the upgrade has taken effect. So at least joy in the money front, but I'm quite willing to pay the money, as long as I get the service.

So crap speeds for now but at least it's costing me nowt :(:rolleyes:

I've been on Virgin Media XL broadband for about a year and a half now and think they're brilliant. Sometimes I get 34Mb downloads and never under 18Mb.

Can't fault them at all.

Was also told that because S8 is a student(y) area, we were also being capped.

Hardly - I think there'd be a lot more fuss from people in S6 and S10 if that was their reasoning. It's not even that it's a valid excuse - "there are students in your area so we won't provide you and them with the service that you pay for"

These sites might interest people. Am not normally one for moaning so much, and have no expectation that any response will result from them, but am quite keen for VM's reputation to reflect the reality of many people's experience:

http://getsatisfaction.com/virginmedia

http://www.problemswithvirgin.co.uk/index.php