Sheffield Buses Past

and Church Street/High Street in 1991..

...remember the Leyland National with the sledge on the roof !!!!????...pic here !!!

http://bit.ly/fAsqvS

The bus is preserved (without sledge!) in Sheffield .

Edited by bracken

Anyone who worked at Herries Road bus depot till it's closure may be interested in the re-union we are holding on May7th at The Hillsborough WMC Bradfield Road. All ex "Hillsborough Bus Company" staff will be most welcome, the one we held 3 years ago was brilliant, the place was buzzing. We have a facebook group it's "Herries Road bus depot re-union group". If you know anyone who worked any Herries please let them know or you can PM me on here.

I was at Herries for a few years on the radio, late eighties/early nineties before going back to George Street/ High street/CBS.Have tried to get on the facebook site but can't find it. :huh:

I left Sheffield in '69 so I remember the yellow and blue double deckers. I especially remember the upper deck filled with cigarette smoke. In those days I smoked like a chimney so I was part of the problem. As I look bk, I wonder how anyone could even breathe up there. :gag:

Hi RogG, I started work as a bus driver in 69, your not wrong there about the smoke and brown interior, tell you what though mate they had some pretty powerful stuff for getting it off. Up until a couple of years ago I still had some left that I had acquired before I left in 1988.

The original bendy bus was fascinating as a young lad!

I remember them too Supersonic, I used to drive them. The first one's we had were M.A.N and they were an absolute pleasure to drive, Sheffield borrowed them from Nottingham who I think were the first to try them out in this country. As you may remember they were free to travel on, that's because we were not aloud to charge as the city had to have a special licence to operate them.

What happened next was one of these busses was sent to Leyland bus makers so they could copy the idea and make there own. That's when all the fun went out of driving these things, ( they were rubbish ) the biggest gripe was the heat as the air passing through the radiator came straight into the cabin and it could not be controlled.

I remember well the guy's couldn't wait to get off them. (Happy Days)

I remember them too Supersonic, I used to drive them. The first one's we had were M.A.N and they were an absolute pleasure to drive, Sheffield borrowed them from Nottingham who I think were the first to try them out in this country. As you may remember they were free to travel on, that's because we were not aloud to charge as the city had to have a special licence to operate them.

What happened next was one of these busses was sent to Leyland bus makers so they could copy the idea and make there own. That's when all the fun went out of driving these things, ( they were rubbish ) the biggest gripe was the heat as the air passing through the radiator came straight into the cabin and it could not be controlled.

I remember well the guy's couldn't wait to get off them. (Happy Days)

I think you are getting a bit confused gingerkid

The first bendi bus in sheffield was a yellow one from germany which was right hand drive . This was used on public demonstration runs using a speical licence as bendi buses were not legal in UK at this time.

Them we had 5 mans which were mad in germany the first one had the letters bendi bus on it. Mean while Leyland were making 5 bendis using the leyland national body , however these were higher than a a normal national due to the drive line .

When union problems meant that the first batch of bendi's were withdrawn several Leyland nationals were borrowed from Nottingham , some of these were bought by the PTE.

Latter on a new batch of Bendis with Leyland bading were introduced 3 of them were coach seated for the X91.

The first batch ended up all over some in midland red some in glagow some in winchester. Some of the second batch were used in bath after witdrawl

C113 HDT formally bendi bus 2013 DAB/Leyland the final of the second batch of bendi buses arrived back in Sheffield at 2am today 5th July 2011.

The bus is currently registered BBZ 6818

The bus was one of the coach seated ones with only two doors for the X91 to Thurnscoe the former Dearneways Route.

The bus is at the Tinsley Premises of South Yorkshire Transport Trust.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no public access to these premises at present.,

Front shot with new reg

DSCN8630.jpg

Inide shot

DSCN8640.jpg

C113 HDT reg

DSCN8644.jpg

Iam 90% sure that this is the same bus in SYT days with brakes binding on Sheaf Street

img549.jpg

Iam 90% sure that this is the same bus in SYT days with brakes binding on Sheaf Street

img549.jpg

well there is a 33.3333% chance it was busman!

well there is a 33.3333% chance it was busman!

As far as I remember it was 2013 it was the same one that we took to chrich

I remember having a red bus pass for school, Woodhouse to City centre for the City Grammar School.I remember the stinky upstairs, also signs telling you not to spit and adverts for the VD clinics.

On Saturday nights (1965 onwards) we had a whip round for the number 52 Woodhouse driver. He would stop for us on the way home at Darnall toilets! :)

I worked at Kayser Ellisons for a few years and was ****** off every night when the number 52 buses turned up in the order Woodhouse, Ballifield then Handsworth. My Woodhouse bus was always full because it was first and full of folk only wanting to go to Handsworth and Ballifield!!!! :loopy:

In reply to busman, the bus that caused all the hold up with seized on brakes at the Leopold island was one of the first MAN's, the driver had not taken on board his training, and swung wide to get round the island, he exceeded the angle that the bus was allowed to bend, and the automatic anti-lock device cut in.

It required fitters to come out from Greenland Rd to re-set them before the bus could move again.

I well remember a very irate policeman telling the driver to "bloody move it" and the poor driver saying it would'nt shift, even he did not realise what had taken place. It was a new learning curve for all involved in those days. I also remember Alec Lee, (chief inspector in the driving school) and others going down to Dover to drive the first MAN bendy's back to Sheffield, they were certainly a far better machine than the later Leyland lash-up.

When the Leyland buses came, going round the dip on the Leopold island, the bottom of the concertina bellows on the center section would actually scrape the road, awful buses!!