Sheffield Buses Past

I remember the bus drivers having a good laugh at us, we would run like mad from the City Hall dance to catch the last bus, he'd wait for us to get closer to the bus then take off without us :hihi: I didn't think it was so funny back then having to walk all the way to southey green :(

Hey you experts, indulge an old man. Which circular bus route ran down Rutland Road, my guess would be the inner circle. I got a little wager on this.

Hillsbro/Athy

Are you two Hijacking this thread as an OE forum.

Having said that, I've just checked some more photos in the OE link.

I can only remember the names of about half of the first year students, of these I only recognise about half the faces. I was in your year Athy but in 1(2) I remember your name but dont recognise the picture.

last bus was at i think 11.15 pm. some people used to wait until the driver

started the engine and jump on . my driver got fed up with this so one night

on snig hill released the handbrake and rolled the bus downhill before starting the

engine. you should see them run. once on an atlantean we shut the doors and a

bloke hung on the outside for 200 yards. when we let him on he said "thanks mate"!.

happy days and nights.

Sorry Tooeg, it grew naturally out of the topic, with Hillsbro mentioning King Ted's. Thanks for the photo Hillsbro, I still have my framed copy (autographed on the back by the whole class plus Eli). That's me in a slightly uncombed state behind Eli's right shoulder, i.e. to his left as we view the photo. Three to his left (our right) is James Pemberton who looked like a professor even then, and who now is one.

I'm sure that I would have known you, Tooeg; perhaps you would care to divulge your true identity?

OK gents (and possibly ladies), back to the buses. I do remember the first mid-entrance one coming on to the 102 route, probably in 1962. I already took a keen interest in transport (inveterate train-spotter, shuttling between the Mid and the Vic on Saturdays) and remember saying to the conductor "They have changed this one around a bit".

.... the first "dual-door" entrance buses first entered service in late 67-68 on the old G and H registrations. They were Park Royal 33foot Atlanteans which earned the nickname "jumbo's". They were quite a revolution at the time and the passenger public needed advice on how to get on/off the bus!!!!

.... the first "dual-door" entrance buses first entered service in late 67-68 on the old G and H registrations. They were Park Royal 33foot Atlanteans which earned the nickname "jumbo's". They were quite a revolution at the time and the passenger public needed advice on how to get on/off the bus!!!!

I remember some rear loaders with doors, that could have been built earlier still. I seem to think they were numbered in the 1100s or 1300s series and occasionally on the 87 Maltby route.

I remember some rear loaders with doors, that could have been built earlier still. I seem to think they were numbered in the 1100s or 1300s series and occasionally on the 87 Maltby route.

....yes you are right - some AEC Regents and Leyland PD2's with Roe bodies were bought in 1958-60 with "coach doors" on the rear for use on the more out- of -town, longer routes. Leyland 1156 is an example which has been preserved and can still be seen at local bus museums and rallies , and will have a commemorative tour in November ,around its old routes, to mark its 50'th year! :thumbsup:

Thanks sandyb. I worked on those buses, both as a driver and conductor.

See http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHEFFIELD-LODGE-MOOR-MOTOR-BUS-AT-TERMINUS-PHOTO-CARD_W0QQitemZ230298845141QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230298845141&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What a lovely old postcard showing the Lodge Moor bus! I think it's an early Daimler - it must have been a bit draughty on the top deck, and think of the poor driver on a cold winter's day...

Some of the King Ted's boys (1954-59) used the inner circle. I remember the Crossley. Others on the route were Daimlers. Do I remember seeing Guy buses on that route? Or was that just lorries?