Sheffield Buses Past

I recall a conductor on the Sheffield to Retford Bus who "sang out" the stops. Difficult to describe but something like SWallowwwws nest - I think it was in the 1960's

Dogsbody - well, I only have the timetable book for 1954 (or rather, most of it as it is falling apart!) This definitely shows the 61 going to Nether Edge and the 63 to Shirecliffe - here are the two relevant pages, with the fare table added at the bottom. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/61-63.jpg The fact that fares are shown for the whole Nether Edge - Shirecliffe route suggests that the buses changed the route number at the city terminus.

The 97 and 98 are shown as City - Southey Green only (the 98 being diverted via a different route) - here are the pages. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/97-98.jpg

But I also remember the 61 and 63 both running from Shirecliffe (Penrith Road) as you say - I think this might have been a few years later as I would only have been 6 in 1954!

The 1954 index shows Nether Edge being served by routes 8, 9 and 61; Shirecliffe by the 63 and Southey Green by routes 5, 94, 97, 98 and 120. I would guess that things changed soon after 1954; the 97 was certainly going to Nether Edge in the 1960s.

The 97 ran to Nether Edge, right through the seventies, and into the eighties, then when deregulation happened, it was changed to the 22. (if not on deregulation, certainly very shortly after)

The 1954 index shows Nether Edge being served by routes 8, 9 and 61.

That's right - I remember getting the 61 from Nether Edge into town in the early 1950s. Later on it was the 97 or 98.

We were very proud of the cream and blue buses, they always looked smart with the city's coat of arms painted on the sides. You knew you were back home when you spotted one of these buses, whether it be one parked up at the old Norfolk Arms terminus on the A57 (Rivelin) or up by the old Lodge Moor Hospital (which could be easily seen from the A57).

One of my earliest memories of travelling on a bus is of sitting upstairs on an old Regent V bus (entrance at the rear) probably on the Moor. This big fat lad had just thrown up and the pink fluids were running down the aisle. What a memory, eh?

I'm old enough to remember smartly attired conductors with their ticket machines (different coloured ticket), the awful South Yorkshire Transport livery of brown and cream (to which red at some silly point was added), the videmat machines and the idea of going on a bus somewhere for something to do and because it was so cheap!!

I`ve recently had to revert back to using buses to commute (fuel prices) and it`s not as enjoyable as it used to be. Maybe as kids it was an epic journey to town, something you didn`t do often. The stairs are trickier to get down when the bus`s moving too or is that just old age creeping in???

I have the same problem with the stairs, and I put it down to old age. Just got my bus pass...

My goodness - 1,001 posts. I must be getting old...

Not quite ready for my pass yet. Got a few years to go.

Well, even paying the inflated fares I think you're doing the right thing, spudgun, using buses. They can be unreliable, but if you are on a high-frequency route such as the 52 or 97 they aren't that bad, and as you say fuel is expensive now. Good luck with your bus pass in a few years' time - they are well worth having, especially now that you can use them all over England. Mrs hillsbro and I divide our time between Sheffield and Lincolnshire, and we can use buses for free at each of our "homes".:)

We were very proud of the cream and blue buses, they always looked smart with the city's coat of arms painted on the sides. You knew you were back home when you spotted one of these buses, whether it be one parked up at the old Norfolk Arms terminus on the A57 (Rivelin) ...

Here's a photo that will take you back (though it dates from long before you or I were born!) http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/NorfolkArms.jpg

It's a pity that the Norfolk Arms (a.k.a. the New Norfolk) has closed. No prizes for guessing what will happen next - the building will be converted into luxury apartments...

The original bendy bus was fascinating as a young lad!
501 Batemoor-Meadowhall or the experiment before that? Woodseats Rd on a bendy bus: eek!
I left Sheffield in '69 so I remember the yellow and blue double deckers.
Andrews?

501 Batemoor-Meadowhall or the experiment before that? Woodseats Rd on a bendy bus

the 501 Batemoor to mad as hell were the second incarnation of bendi- buses, in the early/ mid 1990s. The original bendi-buses were from the early eighties.

BTW, the 1960s buses were cream with navy blue stripes,top and bottom, (as per the photo here, the bus on the right of the screen http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.worthington/sheff/page1~1.htm and here http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.worthington/sheff/shefhome.htm) and the Sheffield coat of arms on the side. the andrews' buses didn't come in til well after that.

I enjoyed the photo you posted. I don't know if you know, but the truck in the picture was a Leyland Comet. I don't know the engine size, but the transmission was a four speed gearbox with a two speed back end. After I left the buses in the early 60s, one of the first lorries I drove was one of the aforementioned Leyland Comets'.

I note that your locality is listed as Wadsley: well I'm an ex pat Wadsleyite currently living at Parson Cross. Keep the pics coming, I'm sure there are lots more people who'll enjoy them.