Sheffield Buses Past

This thread is about what we remember about Sheffield Buses...

I bet you all remember the low fares we used to pay on buses, remember 2p and 5p standard rate (showing my age) remember the mechanical ticket machines the conductors used to use to issue the tickets, as a lad I used to try and dodge the 2p fare, more of a challenge than being dishonest! Remember the Videmat! how many buttons went in those then! My dad in the 80's had to buy a car due to them taking away the early morning 'works' buses at the time (we didn't have a car before then)

Do I have to say 'Discuss' :gag:

I was a student durring the years 1943-50 when the bus (and tram fare) were 1/2 d (Really showing my age). I remember when I was eighteen (height approx 6 feet) and still asking the conductor for a ha'penny ticket, I sure got some strange looks.I used to catch the 7-50 am bus #102 to Ponds street and then change to a bus going to Carfield Intermediate school .

I was a student durring the years 1943-50 when the bus (and tram fare) were 1/2 d (Really showing my age). I remember when I was eighteen (height approx 6 feet) and still asking the conductor for a ha'penny ticket, I sure got some strange looks.I used to catch the 7-50 am bus #102 to Ponds street and then change to a bus going to Carfield Intermediate school .

The tickets were held in clips on a long board (its the best way I can think of to describe it) The tickets were carboard , I suppose 1"x2",and different colours for different fares. Its a long time ago, so I hope my memory is not playing tricks. I used the tram from the Lane Top more than the bus, except on Sundays, after Dad came back from the WMC and we had eaten lunch (called dinner then), I was plonked on the Circular bus for the afternoon round trip. It was many years later before I figured out WHY.

The tickets were held in clips on a long board (its the best way I can think of to describe it) The tickets were carboard , I suppose 1"x2",and different colours for different fares.

This picture might take you back a bit, Janner:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Busticket.jpg

The piece torn from one end was caused by the wire staple that held the block of tickets to the board.

And this might take Antijammer back a bit:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Bustimetable.jpg

I have another story involving a bus. early 60s. I was driving my '47 Ford Anglia, which I had bought for the princely sum of 20 quid. The old boxy type, forerunner of what became the Ford Popular. I was making a rt hand turn off Mansfield Rd. A double decker bus passed me on the inside, but there wasn't enough room and there was this awful scraping sound. My front wheel arch on the passenger side was left hanging off and torn with a big gash. When I showed up at Sheffield Transport office, a guy looked at my car, sized it up for what it was (an old banger) and told me it wasn't worth putting through the insurance so how would 10 pound do for me to fix it up myself? As a student who was down on my uppers that seemed like a lot of money, so I took it and got to work with a fibre glass kit. Trouble was, I did a lousy job and all it did was draw attention to the sorry state of my vehicle. So much so that a policeman stopped me, had the car towed in to West Bar, then charged me with driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition. I finished up paying twice as much as what the bus people gave me. The car soon finished up on the scrap heap, where I must admit it properly belonged. Maybe that bus driver did me a favor as that car was an accident waiting to happen. Didn't see it that way bk then though.

What did you all get up to on the back seat of the bus back then. I got up to allsorts as a teenager with my g`friend all of which i can`t tell as this is a family forum :hihi:

Sheffield buses past...

The first bendybuses, brown and cream SYPTE livery, SYT Fastline services (no bus services will ever come near to being as good as these!!!), buses that used to display destinations as 'Garage' 'Football' 'Special' 'Private Hire', Little Nippers, 2p and 5p Sheffield child fares, smoking upstairs on double deck and at the back of single deck buses, frequent services, radio on the buses, the old towing buses.

The tickets were held in clips on a long board (its the best way I can think of to describe it) The tickets were carboard , I suppose 1"x2",and different colours for different fares. Its a long time ago, so I hope my memory is not playing tricks. I used the tram from the Lane Top more than the bus, except on Sundays, after Dad came back from the WMC and we had eaten lunch (called dinner then), I was plonked on the Circular bus for the afternoon round trip. It was many years later before I figured out WHY.

Thanks Janner and Hillsbro for more details on the old bus tickets and the bus #102. Janner I particularly enjoyed you last comment (I must say it took a moment for the penney to drop).I was very familiar with the Circular since it was the fastest way to get from the top of Ridgeway road to Graves Park (I played tennis at Graves Park almost every night during the summer) One last point,I am almost certain that the ha'penny tickets (of which I used so many during the seven years as a student) was blue?

hillsbro - can you see from your old timetable what was the route number of the Nether Edge bus in the 50s ?

I used that bus to school occasionally but mostly used the 8/9 inner circular. It was a choice between a walk up Sharrow lane or a walk down to Queens road.

Two other routes I used in the 40s and 50s were the 45 to my gran's in Totley, and very occasionally the 48 to Manchester via Woodhead to visit my aunt in Preston.

Living in Highfields the tram was generally more convenient than any of the buses.

Hi Greybeard - the Nether Edge bus was the 61. It started from Exchange Street and went via The Moor, Cemetery Road, Washington Road, Wostenholme Road, Montgomery Road and Machon Bank Road. The same buses also operated the 63 to Shirecliffe, changing the number in the city centre. The adult fare from Nether Edge to Shirecliffe in 1954 was 8d, while City to Nether Edge or Shirecliffe was 4d.

Sorry to have to contradict you Hillsbro; but the correct answer to Greybeard's question was:- The 97 ran to Nether Edge from Southey Green, and the 98 went to Nether Edge Hospital , also from Southey. The 61 and 63 ran from Shirecliffe. I'm not absolutely certain which way round but one went to Beauchief via Woodseats and the other went via Abbeydale road in a sort of circular route back to the city (Castlegate).

As I used to say to my well endowed girlfriend; "Buenos Knockers".

What did you all get up to on the back seat of the bus back then. I got up to allsorts as a teenager with my g`friend all of which i can`t tell as this is a family forum :hihi:

et moi pedro. it was the woodhouse late night bus, the upstairs sparsely populated, we were young and reckless,............ oh those happy days. sounds like the opening lines of a harlequin romance novel.:hihi:

Dogsbody - well, I only have the timetable book for 1954 (or rather, most of it as it is falling apart!) This definitely shows the 61 going to Nether Edge and the 63 to Shirecliffe - here are the two relevant pages, with the fare table added at the bottom. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/61-63.jpg The fact that fares are shown for the whole Nether Edge - Shirecliffe route suggests that the buses changed the route number at the city terminus.

The 97 and 98 are shown as City - Southey Green only (the 98 being diverted via a different route) - here are the pages. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/97-98.jpg

But I also remember the 61 and 63 both running from Shirecliffe (Penrith Road) as you say - I think this might have been a few years later as I would only have been 6 in 1954!

The 1954 index shows Nether Edge being served by routes 8, 9 and 61; Shirecliffe by the 63 and Southey Green by routes 5, 94, 97, 98 and 120. I would guess that things changed soon after 1954; the 97 was certainly going to Nether Edge in the 1960s.