Sheffield Buses Past

have a look on the sytm or south yorkshire transport museum site :D

I've probably driven that bus. I drove buses on the 95 route and worked from Leadmill Road. I was at Townhead Street before that. I started there in 1963.

Hi Crookes, I also began my conducting days at Townhead Street in 1963, during that bad, icy winter when the uniform overcoat was a blessing. My driver was Hadyn Hutchinson, an ex-tram man in his early 60's and a little eccentic.Before being placed with him, I did a lot of reserve work waiting in the canteen for my number (3596) to be called out. Can't remember many names and faces from the time apart from the dreaded inspector Phillips and Harriet, the Jamaican conductress ( we never called them 'clippies' as I recall ). I eventually went on to the Gainboro' keyboard for around a year and a half where my driver ( an excellent one ) was Ken Taylor, he also had a brother at T.St. Ken had a brand new Ford Corsair in light green. However, I missed the hustle and bustle of city work and, to the surprise of many, tranferred back to the 'A' board.I remember at head office, Division St.,a Mrs. Moncur, a Mr. Glentworth and a Mr.Nott. Also remember Percy on the canteen bus.I left around 1966 but went back as a driver in '68 at Leadmill Rd. and later to Herries Rd. until leaving the city in 1975. Incidentally,in '74 I bought the corporation disabled coach which had been based at Osgathorpe depot FWJ 639C and converted it into a motor caravan and used it for many years, once meeting in passing the head office bus fanatic lad, David Vickers and his friends somewhere down south on a trip in their Bedford OB coach. If you should be interested, I also had an ex-Sheffield 'Sheerline' ambulance WWB 3 and went on to own 4 over the years. I am new to the net and now aged 66 so I hope I can get back to you if you are kind enough to reply. Bye for now.

Hello David, I've sent you a PM.

Hi Crookes, I also began my conducting days at Townhead Street in 1963, during that bad, icy winter when the uniform overcoat was a blessing. My driver was Hadyn Hutchinson, an ex-tram man in his early 60's and a little eccentic.Before being placed with him, I did a lot of reserve work waiting in the canteen for my number (3596) to be called out. Can't remember many names and faces from the time apart from the dreaded inspector Phillips and Harriet, the Jamaican conductress ( we never called them 'clippies' as I recall ). I eventually went on to the Gainboro' keyboard for around a year and a half where my driver ( an excellent one ) was Ken Taylor, he also had a brother at T.St. Ken had a brand new Ford Corsair in light green. However, I missed the hustle and bustle of city work and, to the surprise of many, tranferred back to the 'A' board.I remember at head office, Division St.,a Mrs. Moncur, a Mr. Glentworth and a Mr.Nott. Also remember Percy on the canteen bus.I left around 1966 but went back as a driver in '68 at Leadmill Rd. and later to Herries Rd. until leaving the city in 1975. Incidentally,in '74 I bought the corporation disabled coach which had been based at Osgathorpe depot FWJ 639C and converted it into a motor caravan and used it for many years, once meeting in passing the head office bus fanatic lad, David Vickers and his friends somewhere down south on a trip in their Bedford OB coach. If you should be interested, I also had an ex-Sheffield 'Sheerline' ambulance WWB 3 and went on to own 4 over the years. I am new to the net and now aged 66 so I hope I can get back to you if you are kind enough to reply. Bye for now.

....very interesting , and thanks for sharing David !

I think you mean Dennis Vickers with his preserved Barnaby bodied Bedford OB , LRB 750 . Dennis is now a member of Chesterfield 123 group and is involved with the yearly bus rally at Chatsworth. The Bedford OB is still around somewhere also !

What happened to FWJ 639C , and do you have any pics ?

This group may also be of interest to you ....

http://www.sheffieldtransport.com/

SYTT Film Evening

Transport Photographer and Historian Roy Wilson will present an entertaining slide show display from his photographic archive, which he has been taking since the late 1970’s.

The subject for the evening is the SYPTE as a bus operator.

There will be many period shots included from the late 70’s through to the 80’s, which will be complimented with a more recent shots , when vehicles have stood the test of time and survived to the present day.

The event will be held on

Saturday September 10th, from 7pm to 10pm, at the Premier Inn, Young Street, Sheffield S1 4UP.

Free parking in the multi storey car park on site!

Admission is free to all SYTT members on production of membership card, but there will be a £2 admission charge for all non-members.

(You can join on the night!).

Free Tea/Coffee and biscuits are included.

There is also a licensed bar and a restaurant, which serves a variety of meals and light snacks.

Please let us know if you will be attending, as places will be limited, Contact us via email sytt@talktalkbusiness.net, or if you prefer text / call 07800 658039.

(This post is with the consent of the South Yorkshire Transport Trust)

Hi David I also started at Townhead St. in 63 my drivers were Ian Green & Ray Griffiths on the big board and then Alan Leason & Brian Askham on manchester board I went driving in 66 and left in 67 I still have something from Townhead as I met my wife there and we married in 66 :) I remember Crookes as well but I am unable to put a face to your name probably due to senility :hihi:

Owing to the service changes that have occured today the route 41 as ceased to exist , this contains part of the origional route 41 to hackenthorpe which as been a sheffield route for years .

Here is the last departure from town 33041 did the honours :

DSCN9033.jpg

Just a reminder the SYTT film evenng shown in post 785 is this saturday

100_1106.jpg

18th sep meadowhall , you can see them live .along with a free ride in a old bus to south yorkshire transport museum