Sheffield Buses Past

Some of the King Ted's boys (1954-59) used the inner circle. I remember the Crossley. Others on the route were Daimlers. Do I remember seeing Guy buses on that route? Or was that just lorries?

I read it as Gay buses. A Freud moment

Sheffield buses past...

The first bendybuses, brown and cream SYPTE livery, SYT Fastline services (no bus services will ever come near to being as good as these!!!), buses that used to display destinations as 'Garage' 'Football' 'Special' 'Private Hire', Little Nippers, 2p and 5p Sheffield child fares, smoking upstairs on double deck and at the back of single deck buses, frequent services, radio on the buses, the old towing buses.

I went to work in the Engineering Section of SYT at Queens Road back in 1987 and had some good times. I always loved buses so to see the workings of them and how they were maintained was fantastic. What shocked me was the amount of "stuff" that went onto a bus and the weight of the parts.

Wow...its a wonder they ever moved!!!!!. There were some great people that worked there and also some who were not so nice.

I ended up working in the stores for nearly seven years. Had some great times and met some guys and girls who worked in the office.

This was perhaps the Crossley DD42/7 - here are a couple of pictures:http://www.jumbliesmodels.com/images/OM41601.jpg http://www.regent9.ic24.net/pompey%2054_1.jpg

As for Leylands, Sheffield had some PD2's and TD7's: Here's a Sheffield PD2, albeit with M.C.W. bodywork: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_03smgKElkTM/R_Lm3w9vD_I/AAAAAAAAHUU/td19qMOGfF4/shef100-0002_IMG.JPG.

This PD2 also had a Leyland body: http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/transport/Leyland48.jpg

Thanks hillsboro:thumbsup:

They were indeed the Crossley DD42/7's similar to the jumblies model on the Inner Circle route.

The Nether Edge and Woodthorpe routes had the PD2's with Leyland bodywork.

Some of the King Ted's boys (1954-59) used the inner circle. I remember the Crossley. Others on the route were Daimlers. Do I remember seeing Guy buses on that route? Or was that just lorries?

I can't remember the Diamlers, and I had forgotten about the Guy buses until your post. I can definitely remember travelling on them on the Inner Circle route.

Not only King Ted's boys used that route, it also passed Nether Edge Grammar as well:thumbsup:

I remember travelling on backloaders, and early Atlanteans, as a child and on the roof of the downstairs (or inside the bus) was a sign saying "No Smoking", which I understood.

But on the upperdeck the sign said "No Spitting" presumably because smoking was allowed. As a young child however I always wondered if that meant that spitting was allowed on the lower deck? ;)

Tazz

It would be funny to think so, Tazz :hihi: but in fact I remember, when I was about 7 or 8, learning the word "prohibited" from these signs. On the upper deck, just above the windows at either side were the words SPITTING PROHIBITED in gold-coloured letters. It looked something like this:

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/image_display.cgi?image=11bolZ06LmBbY.jpg

On the lower deck it said SMOKING PROHIBITED above the windows on one side and SPITTING PROHIBITED on the other side.

I can't remember the Diamlers, and I had forgotten about the Guy buses until your post. I can definitely remember travelling on them on the Inner Circle route.

Not only King Ted's boys used that route, it also passed Nether Edge Grammar as well:thumbsup:

Your memory serves you well. The Guy's had an Indian Chief's head on the radiator cap as I recall.

Here are a few recollections from the past.

I was kid in the 1940's and there was a series of double deckers with a different type transmission. I think the were Leyland and it had a badge that said "Gearless" on the radiator.

I'll stick my neck out and say that the ones I remember were on the Shircliffe route out of Castle Gate. They always sounded as if the clutch was slipping (thats if they had clutch) or they had some kind of fluid coupling. The driver seemed to have really rev. the engine. Then the bus would slowly move and they never seemed to change gear like the other buses. I think somebody described it to me as a Direct/Indirect drive system. Does this sound familiar to anybody ?

Boxing Day 1940 (just a few days after the Blitz), our family all went to my Mother's sister at Deepcar for a delayed Christmas Dinner. I remember riding upstairs on the bus but all the windows had been blown out by the bomb blasts. They only glass at the front was the drivers windscreen. God it was cold particularly on that open section just before Deepcar. Didn't seem too be as bad coming back.

Somebody mention the Blackpool bus being tried on different routes after the war (No later than 1948). I remember they tried it on the old 8/9 Inner Circle route and it got stuck under the railway bridge at Rutland Road. They got it out by deflating the tyres. Anybody remember that ?

Regards

Here are a few recollections from the past.

I was kid in the 1940's and there was a series of double deckers with a different type transmission. I think the were Leyland and it had a badge that said "Gearless" on the radiator.

I'll stick my neck out and say that the ones I remember were on the Shircliffe route out of Castle Gate. They always sounded as if the clutch was slipping (thats if they had clutch) or they had some kind of fluid coupling. The driver seemed to have really rev. the engine. Then the bus would slowly move and they never seemed to change gear like the other buses. I think somebody described it to me as a Direct/Indirect drive system. Does this sound familiar to anybody ?

Boxing Day 1940 (just a few days after the Blitz), our family all went to my Mother sister's at Deepcar for a delayed Christmas Dinner. I remember riding upstairs on the bus but all the windows had been blown out by the bomb blasts. They only glass at the front was the drivers windscreen. God it was cold particularly on that open section just before Deepcar. Didn't seem too be as bad coming back.

Somebody mention the Blackpool bus being tried on different routes after the war (No later than 1948). I remember they tried it on the old 8/9 Inner Circle route and it got stuck under the railway bridge at Rutland Road. They got it out by deflating the tyres. Anybody remember that ?

Regards

My father was a bus driver when I was a little girl (after he left the steel works) and then later "went on't Wagons" ,driving miles up and down the country.

He said the gear change method was "double de-clutching".

The constant "waggling" of the clutch pedal is what did his left knee in.

...I was kid in the 1940's and there was a series of double deckers with a different type transmission. I think the were Leyland and it had a badge that said "Gearless" on the radiator.

Here's a photo of a Leyland "gearless" single-decker: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/30_leylandbus.htm

The hydraulic transmission was via a torque converter, and one reason for its adoption in the 1930s was that it helped tram drivers (who were not used to changing gear) to convert to driving a bus. It can't have been very successful as Leyland didn't use it for new buses much later than the 1930s.

Here's a photo of a Leyland "gearless" single-decker: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/30_leylandbus.htm

The hydraulic transmission was via a torque converter, and one reason for its adoption in the 1930s was that it helped tram drivers (who were not used to changing gear) to convert to driving a bus. It can't have been very successful as Leyland didn't use it for new buses much later than the 1930s.

You're a mine of information Hillsboro: The follow on to torque converters was "Pre selectors" which were mainly on AEC mark 3s. They were used quite a lot in the early 60s on the Parson Cross- Templeborough route when we had some steelworks in the area. I actually drove them, but I didn't like them much. The main problem was forgetting to alter the gear before you dipped the clutch, then when you let the clutch out with lower revs on; the bus lurched forward; (happy days). After that of course we got Atlanteans.