How did public houses run during the First World War?

I heard a snatch of a radio programme today, it was about state run public houses during the 14-18 war. They had the expected rules and regulations including special brewed beer below the usual gravity, shorter opening hours, customers not allowed to buy rounds and a host of other stuff. It sounded great fun.

All these pubs were in the Carlisle area and were state run because of the munitions factory near Gretna and the authorities didn't want any drunkedness among the workforce whilst making shells and bombs etc.

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the programme but it rang a faint bell in my memory.

Although it was during the14-18 war did something like that happen in the last war? And were there any state run pubs in Sheffield? I wasn't old enough to drink then but I thought somebody might know.

I heard a snatch of a radio programme today, it was about state run public houses during the 14-18 war. They had the expected rules and regulations including special brewed beer below the usual gravity, shorter opening hours, customers not allowed to buy rounds and a host of other stuff. It sounded great fun.

All these pubs were in the Carlisle area and were state run because of the munitions factory near Gretna and the authorities didn't want any drunkedness among the workforce whilst making shells and bombs etc.

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the programme but it rang a faint bell in my memory.

Although it was during the14-18 war did something like that happen in the last war? And were there any state run pubs in Sheffield? I wasn't old enough to drink then but I thought somebody might know.

i have never seen them run but seen them wobble at closing time

Our licensing laws that meant pubs closing at 10 pm and in the afternoons etc,came directly from munitions workers turning up drunk in WWI.

Yes it was the Germans fault!!

Hi Texas,

Before the 1914-18 war, licencing hours in England were very liberal, infact in some places, they were virtually non-existant. Drunkeness, at the time, was felt to be a real problem. Don't know if it was an worse than what is happening on West Street, etc. now ,but that was the opinion. This gave rise to a strong temperance movement that was always pressing the gov. to fix the problem

During the war, a large number of munition factories were started in the Carlisle area and people came from all-over the country to work there, including from Ireland. They were all working long hours and making good money at the time, so most of the leisure time was spent in pubs.

It all started as a few minor disturbences at closing time but quickly became a succession of riots. The temperance movement were all-over Lloyd George's government at the time and to placate these people, he did two things:

Imposed rigid licencing hours on the whole country that were still in force when you and I were growing up.

He also nationalized the pubs in the Carlisle area, and -get this - the brewery that supplied the beer. I think this nationalization only ended in the late 1960's.

Regards

Correct in every detail, Texas.

I remember in the early 50's seeing young lads carrying trays of beer in the mornings. This was on Penistone Road and was for the furnace-men and hammer drivers. Imagine this in todays PC and H&S world.

That sounds about right Falls. It seems to tie in with the programme I heard. Oddly enough, I remember a pub on Carlisle Street (no connection) in the 50s that opened until well after normal closing time, this to accomodate the furnacemen in the area coming off shift. Seems to be similar to your observations Jossman.

And peterw, where you been? Nice to hear from you again.