Blackpool Tower sized windfarms

The best place is where the wind blows.

Nice one Tony.

.........HOWEVER energy companies aren't going to be that willing to invest in a site that doesn't have a commercial return for them, so they're going to be trying to generate as much electricity as possible.

Unfortunately, they do not have to generate more than a minimum of electricty in order to make a vast profit.

Operating at a quarter capacity, a 2 megawatt turbine will be recieving about £220,000, per year in excess of the electricity sold at market prices (about £230,000) as a "renewables obligation". We pay for this through increased costs.

Add to this the government grants for construction and it is all a nice little earner.

As the 'windier' sites are usually less accessible and more contraversial ... why bother?

Did you read the document I posted? :)

Unfortunately, you haven't posted a link to a document.

You have posted a link to a webpage with links to the draft of a book which are rather large files.

Could you possibly extract any relevant paragraphs?

...or, more likely, continue to be maintained at public expense to satisfy various political ambitions.

Why public expense? They will be owned and run by private companies. If they don't make a profit then they'll be abandoned.

There is a huge windfarm in the North West at Scout Moor. It's visible for miles but for some reason they're not unsightly. In fact, when you look at the Pennines from the hills by Wigan it breaks the monotony of the bleakness.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/office_of_the_chief_executive/lancashireprofile/sectors/utilities.asp

Regardless of the type of power generators, we need to reduce our electricity consumption. Which could start off with shops turning off their lights at night. I'm not sure about Sheffield retail parks but all the ones round me are fully lit up at night.

Please stop Barnsley Council allowing one of the biggest windfarms ever built in Britain and destroying Sheffield's beautiful countryside. This proposal is on Barnsley land but affects Stocksbridge and Deepcar hugely. Sheffield must wake up to what Barnsley MBC is up to.

In May 2008 a planning application was submitted to Barnsley MBC for the erection of five 410ft (125m) wind turbines across the hillside between the Stocksbridge valley and Penistone. They will be sited from the top of Underbank Lane across the hill to Cranberry Crossroads and beyond visible by everyone on the opposite side of the valley in Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Midhopestones.

The proposed wind turbines are HUGE, and will be some of the biggest in the country. To put it into perspective, each turbine will be nearly the height of Blackpool Tower! In a local context they are almost 2½ times bigger than those already sited at Royd Moor on the way to Huddersfield. This means digging out the earth to site them, destroying wildlife (badgers, bat, birds) and widening roads to get the structures in. They'll distract motorists on one of Britain's most dangerous roads and shouldn't be permitted. The action group which has been founded is not against green energy - just in the right place.

Anyone wanting more info should check out the Protect Sheephouse Heights website or PM me for links.

to find out how to object before its too late.

You don't seem to mind the unsightly power lines dotted around the Sheffield's beautiful country side.

Unfortunately, they do not have to generate more than a minimum of electricty in order to make a vast profit.

Operating at a quarter capacity, a 2 megawatt turbine will be recieving about £220,000, per year in excess of the electricity sold at market prices (about £230,000) as a "renewables obligation". We pay for this through increased costs.

Add to this the government grants for construction and it is all a nice little earner.

As the 'windier' sites are usually less accessible and more contraversial ... why bother?

There you have it, they don't need to put them in the windy sites that have accessibility problems because they don't need to even generate electricity to be profitable because they are massively subsidized.

Its all an enormous con, but there are always those with their PC blinkers, yep, screw it making sense or not its PC, yeah PC PC PC PC PC.

ironic for the tree huging hippys, lets save the enviroment by destroying it good plan!!!

Time we hang a few of the do gooders to a post and build a few nuclear power stations

ironic for the tree huging hippys, lets save the enviroment by destroying it good plan!!!

Time we hang a few of the do gooders to a post and build a few nuclear power stations

Absolutely, these idiots don't have the slightest clue what the negative effects of wind turbines are, they don't know how polluting the process is to make them and in short they know nothing other than that mantra they keep chanting PC PC PC PC PC, dolts.

I wonder if some of the objecters are the same people that are opposing the demolition of the ugly cooling towers at Tinsley.

If the wind farm is built I will almost be able to see it from home and I say "bring it on".

I'll tell you what, there's not many days when the wind doesn't blow in that location.

....Regardless of the type of power generators, we need to reduce our electricity consumption. Which could start off with shops turning off their lights at night. I'm not sure about Sheffield retail parks but all the ones round me are fully lit up at night.

Lots of places leave lights on overnight, usually those 'lovely' neon "get your lardy food here" signs :/

Why do we call them 'wind farms' ?

Surely a farm produces stuff... a dairy farm produces dairy produce for example. Electricity Farm is perhaps more accurate but a little ambiguous... any other offers for a meaningful name? :hihi: