Blackpool Tower sized windfarms

yes you are probably right, apart from the 40% of residue and fly ash full of dioxins which needs a home. Also all the waste from the fluidised bed, you can only make so much plasterboard.

Fluidized bed reactors burn at temperatures that destroy dioxins and other harmfull elements, its not the Bernard Rd incinerator.

What's left is very little and is a form of gypsum concrete thats used as is for road construction (just add H2O).

If you like I can post all the technical data, just didn't want to bore anyone to death.

I know this one :thumbsup: I know this one :thumbsup: It's the prius 'cos of all the heavy metals and the complexity of manufacturing the batteries. Plus they arn't all that fuel efficient either when compared to a modern eco-diesel especially when using biodiesel.

Yes mate its that Dirty Prius, about twice as damaging to the environment than a Hummer.

Yet all the green meanies and tree huggers drive um, because they don't look at the overall calculation just the end used part, as I said before, DOLTS.

This case is even better, 98 times more damaging than a standard coal fired power station.

Mod Note: Lets stop the personal sniping & insulting. Keep on Topic.

I'm all for windfarms, I even find them quite nice looking.

Interestingly when it gets really windy they twist the fins so that they dont pick up the wind, which effectively turns them off.

The newer designs use a much taller tower and much longer blades that flex in the wind. They still have to effectively turn them off in extreme conditions but the stresses they can be exposed to are incresing all the time and therefore the efficientcy is improving too. I think they have a place as part of a portfolio of energy sources (solar, wind, tidal, fossil, nuclear etc...) but if we're honest they'll never be as efficient as most energy sources and we're never going to power the planet using wind power

Yes mate its that Dirty Prius, about twice as damaging to the environment than a Hummer.

Yet all the green meanies and tree huggers drive um, because they don't look at the overall calculation just the end used part, as I said before, DOLTS.

This case is even better, 98 times more damaging than a standard coal fired power station.

You are wrong, real greenies ride bikes.

You are wrong, real greenies ride bikes.

I don't think that that changes the fact that Hi-Brid cars are a con and more damaging to the environment than normal ones, and the fact that wind farms just don't work in terms of energy generation, how they work is because of very stupid legislation, everyone has to subsidise the owners who make a profit from a hidden form of taxation.

If I were to start a thread about a certain 'stealth tax' how many people finding out what that tax was for 'profit to a few greedy people who all just happen to be in government' how many posters do you think would agree with putting up wind farms then.

If you want to protect the environment reduce your consumption, I have a house in engineering now that has ZERO energy consumption and if it was near the grid we would put a line in to sell the power company our excess.

Wind farms a total bolocks.

Don't you think there should be a national policy though on where they are placed rather than leaving it to greedy councils to put them where they really shouldn't go.

Why not site them where they will have the least environmental impact, not doing so is hypocrisy.

I'd say that objecting to sustainable energy production and saying it's for environmental reasons is more hypocritical! Wind farms can indeed be beautiful, but more to the point if we want to save our environment and have the least environmental impact we need more of them, not less!

I'd say that objecting to sustainable energy production and saying it's for environmental reasons is more hypocritical! Wind farms can indeed be beautiful, but more to the point if we want to save our environment and have the least environmental impact we need more of them, not less!

Are you aware that at least 50% of the wind farms built in the UK are on locations with sustainable wind levels that are below the recommended minimum?

There are very good reasons to be suspect of applications.

I cannot comment about the validity of this specific site but I know that the industry as a whole is not driven by sustainability.

If I were to start a thread about a certain 'stealth tax' how many people finding out what that tax was for 'profit to a few greedy people who all just happen to be in government' how many posters do you think would agree with putting up wind farms then.

It could make an interesting thread. Go ahead.

Are you aware that at least 50% of the wind farms built in the UK are on locations with sustainable wind levels that are below the recommended minimum?

Not like you to make an assertion like that without a link to facts.

Not like you to make an assertion like that without a link to facts.

It would take time to put together, but is based on valid reports and a BBC research/programme.

In a R4 item, company reps were asked repeatedly about the wind levels and they dodged like a big bag full of dodgy things.

I have also done consultancy work for wind farm companies/landowners and am very good friends with the owner of one such company that develops sites across the UK.

Please stop Barnsley Council allowing one of the biggest windfarms ever built in Britain and destroying Sheffield's beautiful countryside. This proposal is on Barnsley land but affects Stocksbridge and Deepcar hugely. Sheffield must wake up to what Barnsley MBC is up to.

In May 2008 a planning application was submitted to Barnsley MBC for the erection of five 410ft (125m) wind turbines across the hillside between the Stocksbridge valley and Penistone. They will be sited from the top of Underbank Lane across the hill to Cranberry Crossroads and beyond visible by everyone on the opposite side of the valley in Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Midhopestones.

The proposed wind turbines are HUGE, and will be some of the biggest in the country. To put it into perspective, each turbine will be nearly the height of Blackpool Tower! In a local context they are almost 2½ times bigger than those already sited at Royd Moor on the way to Huddersfield. This means digging out the earth to site them, destroying wildlife (badgers, bat, birds) and widening roads to get the structures in. They'll distract motorists on one of Britain's most dangerous roads and shouldn't be permitted. The action group which has been founded is not against green energy - just in the right place.

Anyone wanting more info should check out the Protect Sheephouse Heights website or PM me for links.

to find out how to object before its too late.

sorry to not agree with you .. but wind power is going to be the future of power generation .. look at the windfarms in great yarmouth and on the road to armouth.. heele cit farm has wind turbine and that has to sell electric back to the grid as it produces to much that it can use. where the are proposing these are there not big electric pylons there already