Blackpool Tower sized windfarms

ironic for the tree huging hippys, lets save the enviroment by destroying it good plan!!!

Time we hang a few of the do gooders to a post and build a few nuclear power stations

What crazed logic do you use to come to the conclusion that wind farms harm the environment more than a nuclear power plant does?

What crazed logic do you use to come to the conclusion that wind farms harm the environment more than a nuclear power plant does?

You don't know anything at all about wind farms do you.

How much energy goes into making the turbines, how may pollutants pushed into the environment, how much electricity is actually produced.

I bet that not only don't you know, I'm willing to bet you never even thought to think if these things make any sense at all do you.

Here's a great question for you, which is more damaging on the environment a Hummer or a Prius?

And how much energy goes into making a nuclear power station? They're infinitely more complex than a windmill, not to mention the decomissioning costs.

A friend of mine is working at the decomissioning of a reactor at Sellafield. It will keep him in work for the rest of his life, and most of the life of his children (should they decide to follow his footsteps). What kind of carbon footprint is being made for that?

And how much energy goes into making a nuclear power station? They're infinitely more complex than a windmill, not to mention the decomissioning costs.

A friend of mine is working at the decomissioning of a reactor at Sellafield. It will keep him in work for the rest of his life, and most of the life of his children (should they decide to follow his footsteps). What kind of carbon footprint is being made for that?

I'm not espousing the use of nuclear power but if I remember the efficiency scale correctly they are something like 38 times more efficient than a wind turbine, such as drax B is more like 98 times more efficient, there's no comparison in terms of real benefit to the environment.

Its a big con.

Why don't you look at a real power station with a 'fluidized bed' I've built seven of them to date, no nox no sox just clean power and burns your wast too, so no landfills, what more could you want.

I'm all for windfarms, I even find them quite nice looking.

Interestingly when it gets really windy they twist the fins so that they dont pick up the wind, which effectively turns them off.

I'm not espousing the use of nuclear power but if I remember the efficiency scale correctly they are something like 38 times more efficient than a wind turbine, such as drax B is more like 98 times more efficient, there's no comparison in terms of real benefit to the environment.

Its a big con.

Why don't you look at a real power station with a 'fluidized bed' I've built seven of them to date, no nox no sox just clean power and burns your wast too, so no landfills, what more could you want.

yes you are probably right, apart from the 40% of residue and fly ash full of dioxins which needs a home. Also all the waste from the fluidised bed, you can only make so much plasterboard.

a) they're beautiful

b) it's better for the environment than building another coal-powered station.

I'm for it.

Me 2!!

I don't think they are 'beautiful', however I do like them, they don't look that bad - at least it's better than like you say a power station.

Why don't you look at a real power station with a 'fluidized bed'

According to the site Ive just been to they cause "increased polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon emissions".

If I look up that it says:

"As a pollutant, they are of concern because some compounds have been identified as carcinogenic, mutagenic, and teratogenic."

We already have a number of Nuclear sites arround the UK that can be up graded. They is no need to ska out country side with these ugly wind mills.

You don't know anything at all about wind farms do you.

How much energy goes into making the turbines, how may pollutants pushed into the environment, how much electricity is actually produced.

I bet that not only don't you know, I'm willing to bet you never even thought to think if these things make any sense at all do you.

Here's a great question for you, which is more damaging on the environment a Hummer or a Prius?

I know this one :thumbsup: I know this one :thumbsup: It's the prius 'cos of all the heavy metals and the complexity of manufacturing the batteries. Plus they arn't all that fuel efficient either when compared to a modern eco-diesel especially when using biodiesel.

i fully support windfarms and did so when they were planning to put them less than 200 metres from my house in high green. I think it is very sad that people try peddling out old factless quotes to back up what is really nimbyness. Alternetive energy is the way forward and because of that even if you dont appreciate the look of the turbines the plans should be supported.

i fully agree with wind turbines i think they are very nice to look at and much less of an eyesore than sugh as great big chimneys coming from factorys pumping out loads of smoke etc no one objects to theses that are making things we "Need".

i dont see what the big issue is with them they create energy which is what we need everyone is moaning these days about the price of fules and electricity but some are not willing to give new ideas ie wind farms a fighting chance.

sugar x