Invasion Of The " Snails "..

Tonight I looked up at my windows whilst watching T.V. I could have fell off of my chair, There were many snails climbing up my window. The whole area was covered in these slimy things. I decided to go and give them a shower of salt. I walked out of the door to see hundreds on the doorstep and pathway. I had to get a brush to sweep them off of the pathway. It was like a scene from an horror movie. Glad to say I had plenty of salt. But these snails seem to be growing in number every year. Slugs and snails. Horrid little creatures. Does anyone else have the same problem.

I stepped out of my back door just now, to let my dogs onto the garden , and i trod on one ! :gag: !!!

horrible! horrible! horrible!

They're everywhere!!!

They have eaten all my bedding plants and the kids sunflowers (despite using a ton of slug/snail repellant):rant::rant: I could open my garden as a snail centre:hihi:

Dont mind snails but i hate slugs they get stuck to your bottom of your shoe if you stand on them take some right getting off.:gag:

i put a few sunflowers out in a pot and the slugs/snails ate the whole lot

They're up my walls and back door too. I've never known them to be like this before. There's plenty of vegetation to munch on and the ground is nice and wet so why are they climbing walls, doors and windows?

Cos they can. Normally this time of year it's a bit too dry in places like that but because of the rain it's really humid, and they crawl up walls, right up to the gutters, and I've seen them eating leaves on the weeping willow in our garden, meaning they climbed up a 12 foot trunk, then some 15ft along a series of branches to get to the leaves. I've been using some slug pellets (I don't usually) which seem to be keeping them from eating my more vulnerable plants. I resorted to these after they reduced a healthy and vigorous Lobelia to a cluster of stalks overnight (it's making a fighting comeback now :))

A tip I was given about slug pellets, they contain something which actually attracts the slugs. So don't put them too close to the base of the plants you're trying to protect, as they'll eat the pellets and then go on to eat the plant before they die a horrible death! :D

I remember back in 2002 when I worked for a crappy little security firm, we were at Forgemasters and each night we had to walk around the place and there was a section of the walk that went under a bridge.

We had a lot of rain that summer and the ground under the bridge was covered in thousands of snails, I remember the light of my torch glinting off the shells of them all as I walked along.

I used to spend five minutes stomping them, I love to hear their shells crunch.

Im at war with slugs and snails, I despise them and because of that, my garden is nice and clear of the little buggers.

It's strange because I thought it was just round where we live because there are so many stone walls and I had never had many snails when living in Sheffield. However someone else mentioned it and they live in Cambridge so it must be eveywhere they're taking over.

Having said that i need to find a really big one because my litttle boys school are having a snail race tomorrow as part of their French week :D

I have been told that cracked eggs shells around the pots stop slugs and snails from eating your plants....

How exciting! lol