New handset time... which Nokia?

Well it doesn't *have* to be a Nokia, but I've been using a N95 for last 12 months ish so a Nokia will save me the bother of getting used to different brand!

Must haves:

# wifi

# 3G

# bluetooth with A2DP

# decent camera with some sort of flash

# good amount of memory, don't mind if inbuilt or add-on memory cards

# good size screen, without going to PDA proporations ie still pocketable!

# FM stereo radio

# 3rd party program install possible

# proven compatability with Linux for syncing (I know people have had S60 series Nokias working, just haven't got round to sorting mine out)

Nice to have:

# HSDPA connectivity

# ogg player (though if I can install 3rd party apps that wont be such an issue)

# GPS

I think I have got my shortlist down to:

N82

+ better camera? certainly flash than other two

- smaller screen than N95 or N96

N95 8Gb

+ big screen compared to N82

- can't take additional storage cards

N96

- very new (not even sure its actually available yet), so firmware may be flakey (though oddly my replacement N95 with newer firmware is less stable than my N95 that had 1st edition firmware and behaved perfectly :/ )

+ mahoosive 16Gb storage + additional card slot for up to 24 GB(!)

+ Location tagging (geotagging) of pictures could be a fun toy

+ Mobile TV DVB-H receiver, not yet many transmissions however

I think I will defo be going the N96 when my renewel is available, the tv on mobile will be pretty cool, BTW its released 31st of this month.

iPhone :hihi:

:P

If it genuinely does everything I have listed above then I might consider it.

Was considering the n82 black until I popped into the Orange store in town yesterday and tried one out. The keypad is like pressing needles - the keys are too small and hard, awful. It also looks cheap, especially the back.

N95 8gb was a lot better, keypad was nice, screen brighter and bigger. It's smaller than I expected. Concerned about battery life, the lack of lens cover and xenon flash.

N96 isn't out yet, but previews underline battery issues; not sure I want a phone that won't even last a full day without charging. Has some features I couldn't really care about.

Waiting for the Samsung G810 to arrive - can get them on ebay via hong kong, but will wait until I can try one in the flesh first.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-g810-en.shtml

I'm at the same position myself at the minute and cant seem to find any phone to do everything, have you looked at the X1?

On the Nxx battery life thing, Nokia have been saying they have been working hard to improve battery life. There are a few things you can do to reduce drain, like only switching on bluetooth when you actually need it.

I would imagine that all the latest pocket computer style phones will need to be charged at least every other day (my N95 lasts a weekend before needing a charge).

That X1 looks promising.

Someone here at work pointed out the HTC smartphones to me yesterday that look swishy... HTC Diamond / HTC Type pro both worth a look.

DaFoot - Might seem a daft question but why would you want to upgrade your N95 when it does everything you have listed there?

I use the same phone and have been doing since release. There is nothing on the market that makes me think I must dash out and buy that ... the N95 does me just fine.

That said, I have considered the N82 (for the candy bar format and xenon flash) but I don't think I could do with compromising the screen size as I watch a lot of video on the phone.

The N96 IMO is not far enough advanced of the N95 to justify the price tag. The N95 8GB is an option but this is just what the N95 should have been on release so again, it doesn't have enough over the N95 for me unless it can be snapped up for a very reasonable price.

I would save your money and / or negotiate a better contract with your provider and buy sim free when the phone you really want comes out in the future.

DaFoot - Might seem a daft question but why would you want to upgrade your N95 when it does everything you have listed there?

I hear you and normally I would agree... however I have the opportunity to get a new handset so thought I'd look around.

I use the same phone and have been doing since release. There is nothing on the market that makes me think I must dash out and buy that ... the N95 does me just fine.

It does for me too really, but the extra memory of the 8Gb version or the N96 is appealing.

That said, I have considered the N82 (for the candy bar format and xenon flash) but I don't think I could do with compromising the screen size as I watch a lot of video on the phone.

Was considered briefly but disregarded - small screen / nasty keypad.

The N96 IMO is not far enough advanced of the N95 to justify the price tag. The N95 8GB is an option but this is just what the N95 should have been on release so again, it doesn't have enough over the N95 for me unless it can be snapped up for a very reasonable price.

I would save your money and / or negotiate a better contract with your provider and buy sim free when the phone you really want comes out in the future.

There is no price tag involved.

You will not find a better deal than the one I have ;)

I have the opportunity to get a new handset so thought I'd look around.

Fair enough. You probably already know that the network providers will bend over backwards to retain customers but if you negotiate hard there are some good deals to be had!

It does for me too really, but the extra memory of the 8Gb version or the N96 is appealing.

8GB MicroSD cards are cheap as chips now ... although I still haven't got round to getting one!

There is no price tag involved.

You will not find a better deal than the one I have ;)

Sounds like the kind of deal to have ... but I assume this is with your network provider and any upgrade would lock you into another contract term? That would put me off also as something better may (and probably will) come out mid-term and then you are stuck.

It's tempting I know, but I shall be hanging fire for a while yet.

The whole cost/contract thing is a mute point... give you a clue, I work for a mobile phone network ;)