First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

I think ET may have been my first film. I can't seem to recall anything before that.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I think ET may have been my first film. I can't seem to recall anything before that.

Hey, that was the early eighties. If it was the ABC, there's a better than even chance that I was standing in the foyer directing traffic. Remember me, I was the Adonis in a lounge suit. The manager wore the full penguin gear.

Originally posted by superCol

The manager wore the full penguin gear.

Was he short and fat?

Was he there in the 70's for the ABC Minors?

If so I remember him

Originally posted by mikey

Was he short and fat?

Was he there in the 70's for the ABC Minors?

If so I remember him

Sure was. His name was Les Allen. Bit of an authoritarian but he was alright. Anyone know if he is still alive, and if so, where he is? He used to live in Fulwood and had a Hillman Avenger which he used to park in the multi-storey behind the ABC. He gave the attendants free passes in leiu of parking charges. Always reminded me of an old fashioned bank manager, a bit like Captain Mainwaring out of Dad's Army.

Originally posted by superCol

Hey, that was the early eighties. If it was the ABC, there's a better than even chance that I was standing in the foyer directing traffic. Remember me, I was the Adonis in a lounge suit. The manager wore the full penguin gear.

lol, I was very young. It doesn't ring any bells, sorry. ;)

The first film I remember is 'Born Free', but that's only because I had toothache all the way through it. Apparently, the first film I went to see, was 'Dr. Who and the Daleks', it was released in 1965 so I must have been three. Apparantly, it was shown at a very high volume, and I cried all the way thorugh it. Both were at the Rex Cinema on Mansfield Road.

The Rescuers at the ABC when I was about 4. I also remember my dad taking me to see Spiderman (the first one from the late 70s) at the Rex on Mansfield Road, and having to get the bus back cos the car wouldnt start.

At the grand old age of 6 (maybe 7...) my elder sister took me to The Ritz on Wordsworth, to see Cliff in The Young Ones. I loved it. It was accompanied by a documentary film, about which I remember nothing.

I later learned that the great Reg Dixon made his organing debut at The Ritz.

It's now a dump.

The Sound Of Music at The Abbeydale Picture Palace,with my Mum Sister & brother.I hate that film,but my wife like's the movie so I get out of the way when it comes on TV like every ruddy xmas lol

Not entirely sure this was the first ever film but Star Wars is the one that sticks in my head for some reason... and dar'n Sa'uff in Kent...

Thanks for the reminders about Song of the South though.. all the Bra'r Rabbit, Bear, etc... all brough a grin back from the memories :)

As a toggler in 1944 I went with my Mum to see a film somwhere in sheffield I don't remember much about it ...But the Newsreel was an update of the 2nd World War, I remember lots of Bomber planes.

Guest poppins

My first film had to have been a western on a Saturday afternoon, I bet if you all think about it most of you saw a western picture, after that it would have been Flash Gorden,

well i would say it's a toss up between those.