First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

It was " Wizard of Oz " with Judy Garland at the Paragon cinema, Sicey Avenue, Firth Park .

My Grandad took me to a matinee in the school hols & he got in half price, we went quite a lot & we saw the Doris Day film " Calamity Jane " & other cowboy films !! It was about 1950 & I was 7 I think . We also went to the Essoldo , Barnsley Road ,down the hill from Sheffield Lane top.

Those were the days !!

Barbara

Who can remember what the film was the first time you went to the "Pictures"....how come we never went to the Cinema ?

For me it was Disney's 'Song of the South' and I think I was seven so it would be 1947 at the Abbeydale.

My Gran also took me and my sister to see 'The Red Shoes' with Margot Fontayne at the Gaumont in Barkers Pool. Can anyone remember what year that was showing ?

GB

The first film I saw in Sheffield was Trapeze, starring Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis and La Lollo Gina Lollobrigida. This was at the Odeon now no longer there, it would have been around 1956/7.

It was either Bedknobs and Broomsticks or Mary Poppins and I still get all nostalgic when they're repeated on TV:)

Three Stooges and Hopalong Cassidy at the Saturday afternoon matinees. Ritz cinema, Parson Cross

I remember it well..... 1963, when president Kennedy was assassinated. I was in the cinema watching Bambis mother been killed. Well that was my alibi at the time!

Think it might have been Sound Of Music....waaaayyy back.:huh:

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2003 at 12:50, Funke88 said:

Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the Gaumont on Barkers Pool. The queue went all around the building and back onto the main street.

Can't remember how old I was but I think it was in the early 70s

Film released in UK October 1971.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2003 at 19:09, Greybeard said:

Who can remember what the film was the first time you went to the "Pictures"....how come we never went to the Cinema ?

For me it was Disney's 'Song of the South' and I think I was seven so it would be 1947 at the Abbeydale.

My Gran also took me and my sister to see 'The Red Shoes' with Margot Fontayne at the Gaumont in Barkers Pool. Can anyone remember what year that was showing ?

GB

I saw 'The Red Shoes' when it was re-released in the early 1950's (the original came out in 1948) and it starred ballet dancer Moira Shearer.

Saw lots of films with my dad but the first one I saw alone at the pictures was Song of the South