First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

The Invisible Man with Claude Rains it was round the back at the Heeley Coliseum. We used to say "will yer teck us in mister" Heaven only knows what year that was !!

I think it must have been in someone else's lifetime ! not mine you understand.

Bob.

The Invisible Man with Claude Rains it was round the back at the Heeley Coliseum. We used to say "will yer teck us in mister" Heaven only knows what year that was !!

I think it must have been in someone else's lifetime ! not mine you understand.

Bob.

You posh bugger, we used to say mester. :hihi:

Dr No was screened at the Hippodrome on Cambridge Street in 1962, you must have been nowt but a kid then. ;)

I thought I saw it at the Gaumont in '62 but it was a while ago.

Yes Crooksey, we were posh, we'd moved up to Meersbrook ! Not quite Beechif but we didn't want anyone to think we'd been born in Eely even if we had.

Bob.

Mary Poppins with my mum and Zulu with my dad, I was about 5 think it was the same year for both films.... what a treat! Had Kia-Ora and a box of Fruit Pastilles

In the 50s a lot of the cinemas used to do special programmes for kids on Saturday mornings. Our local was the Coliseum on London road. Mostly Charlie Chaplain and the Three Stooges etc. Flash Gordon was the best laugh - some of the special effects could have been done better by the Blue Peter team with cardboard, glue and poster paint.

Occasionally we'd go the the News Theatre in Fitzalan Square - it was a continuous show there and you could sit and watch it all day if you wanted.

GB

I too went to the Classic or News theatre in the square i THINK? the first film i was taken too was THE GREAT CARUSO with Mario Lanza and the good old Pathe News showing like you i always went to the Sat morning rush but at the STAR CINEMA on Ecclesall rd friends and i used to collect old rags and take them to the rag shop on Button lane to get the entrance fee plus collect old newspapers to take to Wards chip shop on Ecclesall rd we would come out of the cinema and go in the two sasperella shops on Ecclesall rd one opposite + one closer to Wards chippy also during the intervale at the Star there was always some sort of entertainment put on i seem to remember a so called YO YO world champion one time also a cowboy with whip & lasso tricks good old Hopalong Cassidy was not in the same league as him as for collecting rags we used to put bricks in amongst the rags to make them weigh heavier or when told to take them to the pile at the bottom of the yard walk out with the same sack and take it back a bit later anything for extra money where abouts was the Coliseum London rd are you thinking Heeley bottom BUG HUT then there was also the Bug Hut South st PARK and Greystones cinema all had the Sat morn rush i cant remember if the Hippodrome ever did it but i do remember on a regular basis a group of us would pool together and pay the entrance fee for one to go in and open the exit door for the rest of us to gain entry and it was always the same lad picked to do the dirty work HAPPY DAYS.

You weren't that little kid with the runny nose, constantly eating popcorn were you? If so I sincerely apologise for shoving your catapult in a place where it had to be surgically removed. :hihi:
I left it in crookesey came in handy in later life as a bar stool ;)

Star wars at the gaumont back in 77 i was 7 awesome movie awesome cinema i miss the gaumont

I think it might have been 'Picnic' starring William Holden and Kim Novak in 1955.

first film took my then girlfriend to see LAST TANGO IN PARIS hell what a shock .past the butter.

Reminds me of one Christmas day morning when we lived at Handsworth. Mrs Hardie asked me to nip down to Darnall for half a pound of Lurpak. Anything else we want love? Yeah, bring a cucumber if they've got one.

I got some funny looks from the two Pakistani gents that served me.

Edited by Jim Hardie

i miss it too as my mum worked there and she used to get a free pass for being one of their employers which meant i got to see some great films for nothing